NVME Motherboard Choices?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Looking for a SuperMicro or other brand motherboard (3yr+warranty) to buy new that supports NVME on the motherboard, and possibly SAS2/3 on motherboard too.

I would also like 3-5 PCIE3.0 slots for potential P3700s, converters, or 12GB/s cards.

Looking for Haswell V3 cPU capable, single or dual config, I'll be starting with a single CPU.

Not looking to "WTB", but more of a "What are my options" right now?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Are you looking for server or workstation purposes? Might be a bit low-end "prosumer" rather but I've had my eye on the ASRock X99-WS for a while now as it's the only board I've seen (other than the brand-new Xeon D's) that'll take server-grade stuff and has an M2 slot on board; you can chuck a xeon and ECC RAM in it. They also make the X99 WS-E and X99 WS-E/10G which have a ludicrous complement of seven PCIe 3.0 16x plus optional integrated 10Gb networking.

Reactions: Patriot

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Ironically, I just found out my desktop/workstation board supports it.

I'm looking for something like you mentioned or SuperMicro, nothing specific it's for testing stuff with. Purchase will be within a couple months so I expect more offerings.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Are you looking for server or workstation purposes? Might be a bit low-end "prosumer" rather but I've had my eye on the ASRock X99-WS for a while now as it's the only board I've seen (other than the brand-new Xeon D's) that'll take server-grade stuff and has an M2 slot on board; you can chuck a xeon and ECC RAM in it. They also make the X99 WS-E and X99 WS-E/10G which have a ludicrous complement of seven PCIe 3.0 16x plus optional integrated 10Gb networking.
I just got an Asrock X99-Extreme6 in and it does also support the full xeon lineup as well as rdimms :)
m.2 has nvme support on certain boards... I realize this wasn't what you were exactly looking for but it is at a much nicer price range.

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
It is, but they are not going to be high endurance parts... Least not yet.
There are apparently high endurance parts out there thanks to MS though not offered through normal channels, aka vendor direct volume buys. MS is using M.2 in all their new cloud servers and has been working with multiple vendors to get the endurance firmware done for them.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
There are apparently high endurance parts out there thanks to MS though not offered through normal channels, aka vendor direct volume buys. MS is using M.2 in all their new cloud servers and has been working with multiple vendors to get the endurance firmware done for them.
Since HP Gen9 server and moonshot cartridges offer m.2 I would assume they have high endurance drives for them as well.... just not for us....

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
Since HP Gen9 server and moonshot cartridges offer m.2 I would assume they have high endurance drives for them as well.... just not for us....
If that was true, I would doubt that MS would be doing so much work with their cloudssd thing. Its also important to note that a lot of the SSD endurance is largely firmware based. By tweaking retention parameters, they can vastly also the endurance in firmware.

Though are the moonshot/Gen9 PCIe based or SATA based?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
If that was true, I would doubt that MS would be doing so much work with their cloudssd thing. Its also important to note that a lot of the SSD endurance is largely firmware based. By tweaking retention parameters, they can vastly also the endurance in firmware.

Though are the moonshot/Gen9 PCIe based or SATA based?
765483-B21 Leads me to believe sata based drives.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Looks like BIOS upgrade and the MSI I have supports NVME.

Time to look into it. Already running a XP941.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
The higher end drives need more than m.2 NVMe.
I should have specified that I'm interested in a 2P E5 v3 NVME capable motherboard eATX max size so I can throw it in a SM chassis I have. I know I mentioned a lot of options, but ultimately it will be a 2P E5 v3 and/or v2 (if price is right to upgrade).

My workstation motherboard supports NVME but it's not why I want a NVME server board :) I guess I'll wait for some new SM to come out, and/or the existing to drop a little. Maybe get lucky and replace my v2 2P E5 board with one of their NVME ones that has been out a year or two now.

I've had 1 ASROCK motherboard in the past that gave me issues, and another that was 100% fine... not sure on the brand as it's new to me, but I would check them out again but prefer SM and/or retail if I'm dropping $$ or buying new.