NVMe boot on X9-DRW-CF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ziggygt

Jul 23, 2019
I want to boot from Sabrent Rocket Q4 NVMe in generic adapter in my X9-DRW-CF motherbaord. I have looked at the Clover method but not the courage to try it. I just loaded a ton of video editing software so I really don't want to start with a new install. I current am running on a 240Gb SSD and I am out of room. the NVMe is 1TB

I found a modded X9-DRW-iF bios on the Winraid site, The supermicro decoder says that the CF means 12Gb/s SAS and the F means it has IPMI. I don't see a definition of the "i" in the 6th field but perhaps it is the same as the 5th field as SATA only. Can I flash my board with the X9-DRW-iF bios when my board is the X9-DRW-CF? I do not care about SAS support. Does this board have dual bios so I can backup if I need to?
1694755395050.png

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
I would ensure that you have access via IPMI to that you can recover and reflash the BIOS if unsuccessful.

If you have the OS running from the 240gb SSD why not just add the NVME as your scratch disk instead of the effort involved to reload and flash a custom bios?

ziggygt

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks, being prepared for disaster often can avert it. I'll checkout the IPMI reflash.

I accidentally filled the 240Gb Boot SSD with some unattended downloads. The machine slowed to a crawl. It was so slow I could not delete the files I downloaded. I had to put the disk in another machine to delete the files. system is running fine now but disk is still too full. I don't want to delete any of the apps. I already have the 1Tb NVMe drive thought it would be good to use it versus buying a bigger SSD. Nvme should be a lot faster.