numa issue on MZ72-HB0 gigabyte

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
I would normally pen myself as resourceful, but I'm stumped.

The setting:
THREE new MZ72-HB0 motherboards in a row, with latest bios and REV 4 boards.
chips - dual Epyc 7773X
1TB ram
5 NVME pcie micron drives (9300)
1 sata micron 5300
-three of the nvme express drives are connected to the 3x pci4x4 4i SF (three connectors) on the north side of the board, the only connectors one can select.
Windows server 2022 data center

The issue:

Numa possible selections in BIOS : Auto, NPS0, NPS1, NPS2, NPS4

only- when selecting NPS4 for numa, are all the drives available in windows, and even then 2/3 only show up as "portable" droves, including the 1 SATA drive

if I select for Numa the other Settings: Auto, NPS0, NPS1, and NPS2 --> then only the first drive out of the three connectors is visible in windows, the other two drives "disappear".

reproduced this on three motherboards and tried 7 different drives - pattern repeats on drive disappearance,
Only Numa NPS4 shows all the drives BUT 2 out of 3 show up as "portable" in device manger.

Yes, drives are formatted/online

Testing parameters:
3 (three) MZ72-HB0 motherboards same issue.
clean OS load as well as restored OS images, and from scratch installs.
7 different drives and cables
latest bios on boards
only variable of change are the Numa settings

According to schematic, the three connectors are part of the second CPU.

Numa seems to be turning drives off and on.

I have placed 4 tickets with gigabyte and all responses are childish, anything except help fix a problem.
(turn PC off- on?, try different cable? use only one processor? use different ram? do you think it could be solar flare activity? what's your shoe size?)

Never seen this where the numa settings remove whole drives / arrays and what is left is marked as "portable" in device manger

is it a shit product, is it just gigabyte, do other Epyc boards do the same thing due tp lack of a board chip??
I have two supermicro inbound to test as well (H12DSi NT6)

Anyhow,

I'm speechless...

Anyone have the answers? Anyone? Anyone?

Thank you in advance

here are some pics to help:

Attachments

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
What have you set for Advanced -> PCI SubSystem -> 'SLSAS_? Function' for each of the 3?

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
PCIe x4 is the setting they are at.

and some additional info:

-same drives, ram and cpus do not have any of the issues on supermicro H12DSi-NT6

Last edited:

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Hi,

I just tried to get follow ups on my Gigabyte tickets and got no where (less than zero). does anyone have a contact at gigabyte tech support that actually knows their own product they sell?

3 boards (MZ72-HB0) all the same issue, nvme pcie X 4 / u.2 drives disappear and reappear based on numa selections in bios. The one's that don't disappear are marked "portable' in device manager. All drives only appear when numa is set to NPS4. All other selections have partial or no drives.

-drives are set in bios to "PCIE X4", running the latest R10 bios, motherboards are revision 4. dual 7773X epyc cpus.

Any knowledgeable contact at Gigabyte?

Thank you

Attachments

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Maybe I'll rephrase the question:

does anyone here actually use an MZ72-HB0 and has the PCIe4X drive connectors being used with nvme drives? Are you having any issues?

Attachments