Novice Questions on SAS 2308 based controller RMS25KB080

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
I have an Intel RMS25KB080, motherboard Intel S2600CP2J, and chassis Intel P4216XXMHGR. I also have a spare hard drive cage, so that I have the option to switch to a mix of 3.5" and 2.5" drives, making the chassis P4308XXMHGR.

1. Will the controller support a mix of SAS and Sata devices at the same time, or do I need separate controllers to do this?
2. Using the card as shipped in raid mode, do all drives attached to the controller need to be in the raid pool, and can there be more than 1 pool?
2. Does flashing it to IT mode simply pass through the controller card to the motherboard, effectively making the sata ports the same as those on the motherboard?
3. Under IT mode, can you select the hard drives to use in a software raid, while excluding others?
4. When do you use an external controller card?

Thanks

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I have an Intel RMS25KB080, motherboard Intel S2600CP2J, and chassis Intel P4216XXMHGR. I also have a spare hard drive cage, so that I have the option to switch to a mix of 3.5" and 2.5" drives, making the chassis P4308XXMHGR.

1. Will the controller support a mix of SAS and Sata devices at the same time, or do I need separate controllers to do this?
2. Using the card as shipped in raid mode, do all drives attached to the controller need to be in the raid pool, and can there be more than 1 pool?
2. Does flashing it to IT mode simply pass through the controller card to the motherboard, effectively making the sata ports the same as those on the motherboard?
3. Under IT mode, can you select the hard drives to use in a software raid, while excluding others?
4. When do you use an external controller card?

Thanks
IIRC, the Intel docs said not to mix SAS & SATA on the same backplane. However someone on the big Intel thread said mixed drives worked fine.
Card should not have any issues with mixed drives.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk