Not sure if this is a networking or VMware but...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
On ESXI 6.0 u2, running Windows Server 2003 (virtual conversion) and when I backup to my Asustor NAS, I am only getting 10 mb/s instead of 100 mb/s. Both server and nas are gigabit, in fact NAS is dual gigabit with load balancing and assigned though switch. I haven't assigned the server to dual through the port configuring on the hardware switch...but Esxi's Vswitch is setup that way.

Using Macrium Reflect Server for backup.

Server 2003 is hosted on a 4tb 5400 rpm drive and nas is raid 5 on the same. I do have 4 10krpm drives...but I dont think this is a hard drive limitation. The host is also setup for VMXNET3 and in windows shows a 10gb/s connection.

Anyone have any ideas why the transfer rate is so slow? Anything I can do to speed this up? Could it be a software limit from the previous HP that was virtualized from? Maybe it still thinks its on 100 mb?

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I assume you mean MB/s (Megabytes) and not Mbps (Megabits). At 10MB/s you are pushing a 100Mbps link, and at 100MB/s you are pushing a 1Gbps link. Actual transfer rates will be a bit less, depending on packet overhead, raw disk speeds and the ability to handle the traffic at each end etc. Depending on your load balancing setup, it's likely that you are only using one link at any one time. Make sure both ends of all your links are set to 1000Mbps full duplex and that any drivers for the nic's you are using are up to date. Also, be careful that your switches, virtual and hardware based, are using the same protocols for load balancing, otherwise bad things happen :)

Reactions: F1ydave

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
I assume you mean MB/s (Megabytes) and not Mbps (Megabits). At 10MB/s you are pushing a 100Mbps link, and at 100MB/s you are pushing a 1Gbps link. Actual transfer rates will be a bit less, depending on packet overhead, raw disk speeds and the ability to handle the traffic at each end etc. Depending on your load balancing setup, it's likely that you are only using one link at any one time. Make sure both ends of all your links are set to 1000Mbps full duplex and that any drivers for the nic's you are using are up to date. Also, be careful that your switches, virtual and hardware based, are using the same protocols for load balancing, otherwise bad things happen :)

Yes, you knew what I meant. I should be pushing a 100 MB/s, not 10 MB/s. I know that the USB 3.0 maxes out the 5400 rpm drives at 50-60 MB/s...at the very least I should be getting that, imo.

I will port match my servers duals on the switch and see what happens.