Normal PSU for Supermicro Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sh1msh0n

Aug 20, 2020
Hi guys, I have a 1017GR-TF which I am trying to run on a regular PSU. The board and all parts are fine. However, I am converting it to a silent build. When trying to run it from non-server PSUs, all I get is a bad coil whine. The manual does not mention in any way that the 24 pin would have a different pinout than normal. I don`t want to mess with silencing a server PSU, although this is a low consumption build, but I could change the pinout of the 24 pin connector by rewiring if needed. Thank you in advance for all your inputs.

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
What PSU do you have? Most likely either the power output on the 5V or 12V line is not good enough. There is a slight chance that the board expects the i2c channel from the PSU. Did you check something in the IPMI logs after you reconnected the original PSU?

sh1msh0n

Aug 20, 2020
MBastian, thanks for the fast reply. I tried with two totally different PSUs, which both work with other systems. AFAIK the outputs should have been fine, since I only had the E5 1620 CPU, 2x4GB RAM and one SSD consuming power - disconnected everything else. It does start with its own PSU without issues, but as soon as I even turn on another plugged in PSU, there is this horrible coil wine which I identify with imminent disaster.
I have not checked the IPMI logs, will look into the i2c channel idea - but I believe this is only for diagnostics, so I thought I just needed to connect the 24 PIN. I can try with an AX860i, but frankly I was concerned something will go up in smoke.

sh1msh0n

Aug 20, 2020
What do you mean with "normal psu"?
I mean one not made for Supermicro servers. The standard PSU for 1017GR-TF is the hot swap PWS-1K41P-1R (Supermicro PWS-1K41P-1R 1400W 1U Redundant 80 Plus Gold Power Supply).
From the manual:"The 24-pin main power connector (JPW1) is used to provide power to the motherboard. The 8-pin GPU PWR connector JPW2 is required for the GPU card poistioned on the right side of the chassis when viewed from the front. These power connectors meet the SSI EPS 12V specification."
Since this sounds like it has the standard pinout, I am trying to use different ATX/EPS PSUs instead - with the goal of making a silent or very quiet build.

Last edited:

pinkanese

Jun 19, 2014
What motherboard are you using? When I looked up the 1017GR-TF server it shows the
X9SRG-F board. Went and found the manual for the board https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C600/MNL-1320.pdf And it shows a 20pin power connector (JPW1) that uses a nonstandard pinout with mostly 12v supply and grounds. I wouldn't recommend plugging in a standard 24pin from an ATX/EPS power supply.

Seems like a lot of these half width server boards use a similar setup, the Dell C6100 had a similar 18pin connector.

Reactions: sh1msh0n

sh1msh0n

Aug 20, 2020
What motherboard are you using? When I looked up the 1017GR-TF server it shows the
X9SRG-F board. Went and found the manual for the board https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C600/MNL-1320.pdf And it shows a 20pin power connector (JPW1) that uses a nonstandard pinout with mostly 12v supply and grounds. I wouldn't recommend plugging in a standard 24pin from an ATX/EPS power supply.

Seems like a lot of these half width server boards use a similar setup, the Dell C6100 had a similar 18pin connector.
Thanks, this is very helpful. Did you find that non-standard pinout? I am not sure where to find it.

pinkanese

Jun 19, 2014
It's on page 2-21 on the linked manual. pinout.png

My suggestion would be to get a 24 pin extension cable so you don't have to take apart the cables on the PSU you want to use, maybe an EPS 8 pin extension cable or a GPU one, and a depinning tool. Reuse the connector from the chassis and attach it to the extensions using the pins you need, or if you have a fully modular power supply you could try making your own custom cables, but that gets pricey if you don't own the tools.

I couldn't find an adapter for the Supermicro 20 pin, but this should help explain, and could potentially be modified. Amazon.com: 24 Pin + 8 Pin to Mini 18 Pin Dell C6100 Motherboard PSU Patch Cable: Electronics

Reactions: sh1msh0n

sh1msh0n

Aug 20, 2020
It's on page 2-21 on the linked manual. View attachment 15453

My suggestion would be to get a 24 pin extension cable so you don't have to take apart the cables on the PSU you want to use, maybe an EPS 8 pin extension cable or a GPU one, and a depinning tool. Reuse the connector from the chassis and attach it to the extensions using the pins you need, or if you have a fully modular power supply you could try making your own custom cables, but that gets pricey if you don't own the tools.

I couldn't find an adapter for the Supermicro 20 pin, but this should help explain, and could potentially be modified. Amazon.com: 24 Pin + 8 Pin to Mini 18 Pin Dell C6100 Motherboard PSU Patch Cable: Electronics
Thank you so much for your help. I must admit I do feel like such an idiot, though. I suspected this board may have a proprietary pinout, and I do have the manual. I even looked at the standard 20+4 and thought it was the same... I don`t know where my head was at the time. I guess the line about conforming to the standard confused me. I will look into the links and make my own adapter. Again, much appreciated - thanks for your time and effort.