Norco RPC-4224 SAS Backplane SFF-8087 Query

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fermulator

Aug 30, 2018
Hello!

Despite the mix of failures and success with users, the price for these Norco RPC chassis cannot be beat, so I've purchased one on order. Hoping to catch the eye of someone who knows the newest build for this chassis.

Various other users and "the Internet" have reported strange problems of SFF-8087 cables not working at all, or difficult to connect to the backplane due to tight fit against molex power connectivity.

The majority of my connections will be SFF-8087<->SFF-8087; (I have two dual port HBA controllers ready to go); However I may use breakouts for 4x SATA to mainboard for testing.

_SFF-8087 Compatibility_

Despite a few reporting "cheap cables" not working; it is expected that any SFF-8087 connector should work.
(I am likely to buy this: Coboc Model SFF8087-MM-0.75M 2.46 ft. USB Type A to Type Mini B 5-pin Cable - Newegg.ca)
(hmm, just noticed "TypeA" vs. "TypeB" ... might need to look into this)

For the breakouts however, THIS claims that a _reverse breakout_ is required; (Are reverse breakouts standard or non-standard?) -https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/just-bought-a-norco-rpc-4220-have-a-couple-of-questions.10545/#post-99552
(anyone have any references from Norco to help understand their implementation as to why a reverse cable is required?

Subsequent reading:
SAS to SATA cables: Forward or Reverse Which, Where, Why
(seems like the breakout cables I have now are _likely_ FORWARD, as they went from mainboard to drives; but in the Norco case, backplain to mainboard needs to be REVERSE) - darn

_Tight Backplane_

Unable to find sufficient photo evidence online. Some users have reported that the SFF-8087 connector to the backplane is "very tight" due to the molex power. Is this still the case with the newest builds? Which type of "angle SFF" would work?
I found these options;
* Right Angled Mini SAS 36pin SFF-8087 to 8087 Data Raid Cable 60cm - Newegg.ca
* SFF-8087 Mini SAS 4i 36 Pin to 36 Pin Right Angled 90 Degree Cable 100cm - Newegg.ca

(the difference is UP/DOWN vs. LEFT/RIGHT 90o right angle connectors)

Anyone feel like the angled SFF connectors are PREFERRED?

Thanks!

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
It's been a while since I configured my two RPC-4224 chassis as DAS shelves, but I definitely remember preferring the right-angle connectors for my backplanes.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I've been taking a look at the norco rpc-4224 as a build chassis for the last couple of months to potentially replace a syno DS2411+/DX1211. I found this review pretty helpful for the latest revision of the case (reviewer rcv'd in August 2018). Pictures and links in the review for the specific parts they used in their build. It does show the correct orientation of the SFF-8087 connection.

whoops forgot the linky
An excellent budget case with 24 hot-swap bays, though a few things feel cheaply so care is needed during assembly

itr

Reactions: fermulator

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Hi @fermulator ,

Reverse is when going from SATA on mobo or controller to SAS backplane. This is typically what would be used if you have a bunch of SATA ports on your mobo and didn't have a SAS controller card or SAS connectors on mobo, but have SAS connectors for the backplane.

Forward is going from SAS on mobo to a SATA backplane (such as an ICY box 3x5.25 hotswap cage) or if going to individual SATA drives.I can't think of a reason for forward on the 4224 unless you have SAS controller on mobo but wanted to bypass the 4224 backplanes and connect directly to the individual drives (like if the backplane were broken).

if you have mini sas connectors on your mobo or if you have a SAS controller then you just need one mini SAS to mini SAS cable per backplane.

Reverse and forward are not interchangable, although they look nearly identicle. They have different pin connectors on the SATA ends in a forward vs reverse.

This is my first post here. I just joined and I'm anctiously awaiting the 4224 I ordered. Should arrive this Friday Dec 7. I'll be posting here frequently with questions. I'm planning an esxi or hyper-v to host Oracle APPS and Database VMs. I'm not sure which hypervisor to go with yet.

I ordered the 4224 via Amazon from seller Norco. I'm pretty excited. My "old" linux box is an ivy bridge i7-3770 in a humble Antec micro atx tower with 16GB. This 4224 is quite the upgrade for me and will be built around Xeon Scalable dual socket. I'm hoping the E-ATX Super Micro X11-DPI-NT I'm planning will fit the 4224. Norco says EEB but doesn't say EATX. I think EEB is nearly the same as EATX but unsure. I expect maybe a couple standoffs may not match. Anyone know for sure if 4224 accepts standard EATX?

*and I too ordered right angle connectors for the backplane :)
Thanks,

*edit:

@itronin I saw that comment from William on Amazon too. Its why I selected right cable connectors. I left a question there for him. I was asking how he was able to get the Norco rails to work with his 4224 in a rack. From what I've read, it is near impossible to use sliding rails on the Norco 4224.

I'm researching different open racks, 12u to 24u. But I was thinking I would have to use a fixed shelf for the 4224. Or perhaps even a slidable shelf. Because I didn't think rails worked on the 4224 because the chassis is slightly too wide for rails.
Benny

Last edited:
Reactions: fermulator

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I'm using a badge engineered UK version of the Norco 3U with the right-angled connectors (specifically I'm using 8643 -> 8087 90° right-turn cables); I wouldn't have been comfortable using regular 8087s. The first link to cables you posted is what you're after I think.

Although from your blurb you say it's due to the molex sockets being too close to the 8087 connectors...? If so that's not the problem I had - sockets are at the far end of the backplane whereas the 8087 connectors are in the middle.

fermulator

Aug 30, 2018
All thank you so much for the detailed responses! Very helpful.

I have opted to go for 6x of these right-angle 60cm SFF-8087 cables
* Right Angled Mini SAS 36pin SFF-8087 to 8087 Data Raid Cable 60cm - Newegg.ca

Given the comments the right/left angle is best, and 100cm is too long, 60cm feels "just right".

-
(was not able to find a SFF-8087 reverse SATA breakout with right angle, so instead found an inexpensive used 3rd dual port SFF-8087 HBA controller to avoid having to do reverse breakout at all)

I will probably post a separate posting with pics etc of my build and components used.

Reactions: BennyT

Philmatic

Sep 15, 2011
I’ve had a Norco RPC-4224 for 7 years now, if you’re worried about the stress on the SAS connectors, just flip the fan frame around, that’s what I did. That way the thickness of the fans impacts the motherboard side and not the SAS connectors.