Non-Tesla GPU in a Supermicro 2029GP-TR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jason Tibbitts

Feb 13, 2019
TLDR: Can put consumer GPUs in a Supermicro 6xGPU chassis using EPS12V to dual PCIe 8/6 pin power cables?

So I have this Supermicro 2029GP-TR machine. It has some free slots. I also have two Titan V GPUs, and rather than putting together a system to handle them I'd like to see if it's possible to put them in the Supermicro system I already have.

Now, I understand that Supermicro is really touchy about what GPUs are compatible with which chassis, to the point where they say that even older Tesla cards like K80s aren't supported (even though there's no real reason they wouldn't work).

I also understand that the chassis is designed to cool the fanless cards, but the airflow direction is correct and the blower on the cards will have sufficient clearance. There will certainly be plenty of cool air available for it to blow.

The main issue is power. The Tesla cards take a single EPS12V connector (supposedly at least 225W total power) while consumer GPUs take 8pin + 6pin PCIe power connectors, and that the chassis/motherboard has six available EPS12V cables, plus two undocumented connectors which really, really look like 8-pin GPU connectors. The manual doesn't show or mention them at all, but also doesn't mention two of the GPU power connectors either. All four of the unmentioned connectors are on a power daughterboard (not shown in the manual) which comes directly from the power supplies.

So what I'm looking for, really, are cables to go from EPS12V to PCIe 8-pin and 6-pin. I found a few cables around at Amazon and Newegg which will do this and ordered some just to see if they're built well, but I'm obviously hesitant to just throw something together and kill a bunch of expensive hardware. I'm also looking for any information about those undocumented PCIe-looking power connectors on the board.

Does anyone have any experience doing this kind of thing, or tips they could share? Thanks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Supermicro makes cables for most of their machines to handle this type of usage. I am not sure of the part number for that system, but it may be worth asking.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
CBL-0333L might be the correct part. At least that's what I had on my 2U Ultra servers. One thing to keep in mind however is that most of the Supermicro chassis are set up to accommodate GPUs with rear power only. You may not have adequate clearance to use the side connectors present on most consumer GPUs.

Reactions: ZX_81

Jason Tibbitts

Feb 13, 2019
Not that I'm sitting here with the cards in hand and the server open, it is completely obvious why it won't work: indeed there is no clearance for the power connectors. Even something like the EVGA Powerlink doesn't look like it will have enough clearance; there seems to be only about 1mm available. So I guess that puts that to rest, and I'm off to spec another machine.

Thanks for the input.

Edit: Of course I could desolder the power connectors from the card and replace them with cables. That's not beyond my abilities but it just doesn't seem like it's worth the risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZX_81