Non-ECC Ram on an intel 5520 mobo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheThirdMan

Sep 17, 2013
London
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if an Intel 5520 motherboard (Specifically this one: Supermicro X8DTE)

It says Non-ECC ram is supported but reading official intel sources they say it's not tested for non-ecc ram. I was just wondering if anyone here was running some westmere xeons with non-ecc memory? I was hoping I could chuck in some cheap ram instead of splashing out on some ECC.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Several years ago I built a system on that motherboards close relative (X8DAH). My ECC memory order was delayed and I did some initial testing using non-ECC DIMMs that i had available. It wasn't extensively tested, but it did work (and did pass a full run of Memtest86+).

There are a number of limits on 5500/5520 based systems when using non-ECC ram (size of DIMM, total memory, etc).

I might ask the "why" question. A few years ago there was good reason for avoiding ECC. Registered ECC memory used to be far more expensive. But recently the price gap has closed to be almost non-existent. And if you are willing to use used/ebay sourcing - at least for the Registered ECC you need for this board - you can often find it at lower prices than non-ECC memory.

TheThirdMan

Sep 17, 2013
London
Several years ago I built a system on that motherboards close relative (X8DAH). My ECC memory order was delayed and I did some initial testing using non-ECC DIMMs that i had available. It wasn't extensively tested, but it did work (and did pass a full run of Memtest86+).

There are a number of limits on 5500/5520 based systems when using non-ECC ram (size of DIMM, total memory, etc).

I might ask the "why" question. A few years ago there was good reason for avoiding ECC. Registered ECC memory used to be far more expensive. But recently the price gap has closed to be almost non-existent. And if you are willing to use used/ebay sourcing - at least for the Registered ECC you need for this board - you can often find it at lower prices than non-ECC memory.
There's still a 50% premium over standard ram when purchased new in the UK, but you might be right anyway. I'm working for a client that's helping me with building a render farm and I'm unsure if he can put used hardware purchases through his company in the same way he can do new purchases, otherwise i would stick with some used ECC.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Curious that you are looking at 1366-based technology (X8DTE) and X56xx series CPUs. Almost nobody is buying that stuff new these days - and the used market is flooded (the largest single group of the posts on this site are various twists on just how cheap that generation of hardware is on the "off-lease" marketplace).

Just figured if your client was already playing "one behind" with his server technology then used RAM wouldn't bother them so much...

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Curious that you are looking at 1366-based technology (X8DTE) and X56xx series CPUs. Almost nobody is buying that stuff new these days - and the used market is flooded (the largest single group of the posts on this site are various twists on just how cheap that generation of hardware is on the "off-lease" marketplace).

Just figured if your client was already playing "one behind" with his server technology then used RAM wouldn't bother them so much...
DDR3 has been on its way up for awhile but one silver lining is retail prices on 1600 ram are getting to be almost the same when it comes to unbuffered ecc.

If you haven't been watching the market a lot you might think its ecc ram that is expensive, but its really all ram, I snagged 6x8GB 1600 for $180 shipped last winter as an example. The exact same modules are $160 a PAIR now!

Its getting to the point where you are getting the BGA chips cheaper with ECC when a full module is less than +1/8th increase in price :)

I'm not even comparing against the pricey ricer kits with oversized heatsinks (and dubiously supported timings) just the standard bulk style models.

Even so-dimms are getting in on the action, I was surprised looking around for parts for those new atom boards are nearly at normal laptop levels.

Last edited:

TheThirdMan

Sep 17, 2013
London

Well the way i was going to do it was that I'd get the CPU and Mobo used off ebay and I'd bill him for the rest of the parts that I'd get new. I'm not decided on whether to go 1366 or not though. I'm just pricing up solutions, prioritizing performance per buck.

DDR3 has been on its way up for awhile but one silver lining is retail prices on 1600 ram are getting to be almost the same when it comes to unbuffered ecc.

If you haven't been watching the market a lot you might think its ecc ram that is expensive, but its really all ram, I snagged 6x8GB 1600 for $180 shipped last winter as an example. The exact same modules are $160 a PAIR now!

Its getting to the point where you are getting the BGA chips cheaper with ECC when a full module is less than +1/8th increase in price :)

I'm not even comparing against the pricey ricer kits with oversized heatsinks (and dubiously supported timings) just the standard bulk style models.

Even so-dimms are getting in on the action, I was surprised looking around for parts for those new atom boards are nearly at normal laptop levels.
That's what I'm finding. DDR3 standard ram used to be dirt cheap, in the uk i could get a 32gb 1600mhz kit for £170 and now they're about £250. ECC ram still seems to carry a 40-50% premium over normal ram here in the UK.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
mac pro fully loaded for $1000 - x58 motherboard with dual west mere support WITHOUT ecc. :)

plus it runs osx vm's okay.