No POST/video with Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

9jack9

Aug 18, 2012
Hey everyone,

I see there is another thread similar to this, where the end result was using ECC RAM, but that's not my issue as I already have ECC ram in use.

Basically, I just put together my server platform, powered it on, fans spin up, LEDs start blinking, but my monitor remains in sleep mode.

Here is the hardware in use:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O
Intel i3 2120T
Kingston ECC ram (8GB) KVR1333D3Q8R9S/8G
IBM M1015 RAID controller (removed for the sake of troubleshooting)
Intel 24 port SATA expander
Corsair AX850 Power Supply
Corsair Force Series GT 256GB SSD (nothing installed on it right now)
Norco 4224

First thing to note, as soon as i flip the power supply on, the PC powers up, the on/off button on the Norco doesn't seem to do anything (and yes I have it connected to the MB in the appropriate place, is this a known issue?).

Anyway, here are some things I've attempted to do:

1) Change RAM module position
2) Removed/Attached M1015 (no change)
3) Ensured the jumper regulating on-board video is in the 1-2 pin position (ENABLED).

Since the Norco 4224 doesn't come with a speaker, I can't say if there are any beeps.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Really not sure what to try from here, and I don't have a spare PC speaker that I can hook up laying around :-/

EDIT: Just performed a few other troubleshooting steps and I thought I would share here in case anyone is looking.

I have shorted JBT1 to reset the CMOS, no change.
I measured the voltage on the 12V CPU connector pin to ensure the right pins were outputting the proper voltage (they were).
I swapped VGA cables in case the previous one was bad, still no change.
I disconnected the SSD
I checked the pins on the CPU, none look bent.
Moved M1015 to slot 4 (from slot 1) and back, no change.

All past indications point toward the memory, but this memory is compatible with this MB, unless I got a faulty memory module :-/

Would or should anything different happen if I attempted to bootup w/ no memory?

EDIT 2: It would appear that while this memory is compatible with this motherboard, this memory is not compatible with this motherboard when an i3 CPU is being used (as opposed to a Xeon). The i3 CPU does support ECC RAM, but it doesn't support registered ECC RAM (more details below). I've ordered some replacement RAM and will post an update.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
You have to have at least one stick of RAM in or it won't boot.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...D3Q8R9S/8G&root=&LinkBack=&submit1=Click+Here
I can't see your Mobo on the compatibility list
I think it's Quad ranked RAM not compatible with all mobo's, not looked at this closely

First thing you should do is grab an old PC and rip out the speaker, plug it in the mobo, even run to electronic store and get one to fit the pins.
Double check for a beep code.

Also pull everything out of the board but one stick of RAM and display and try this

9jack9

Aug 18, 2012
You have to have at least one stick of RAM in or it won't boot.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...D3Q8R9S/8G&root=&LinkBack=&submit1=Click+Here
I can't see your Mobo on the compatibility list

First thing you should do is grab an old PC and rip out the speaker, plug it in the mobo, even run to electronic store and get one to fit the pins.
Double check for a beep code.

Also pull everything out of the board but one stick of RAM and display and try this
That RAM was referenced multiple times on the feedback section of that motherboard on newegg. Oh well, anyway I'm not sure if I have an old PC with a speaker laying around, but I guess that just means I'll have to go out and buy one.

9jack9

Aug 18, 2012
Like I said I've not looked to closely at the RAM, just noticed the Kingston site (it might not be updated)

But try one stick at a time.
I only have one stick currently.

Just noticed your CPU, does it support ECC RAM ?

Very few Desktop CPU's do
Does the i3 ?
According to this thread: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=22587440
when paired with the C204 chipset (what this motherboard has) it does indeed support ECC RAM.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Can it support Registered Quad Rank RAM though ?

I see there are SuperMIcro based servers with this CPU.
All very odd, why can't Intel just say yes or no with ECC in their specs :mad:

9jack9

Aug 18, 2012
Can it support Registered Quad Rank RAM though ?

I see there are SuperMIcro based servers with this CPU.
All very odd, why can't Intel just say yes or no with ECC in their specs :mad:
That would make it too easy ;)

In all seriousness though, since this board supports i3 CPUs AND this board supports ECC RAM, it would make sense that i3 CPUs can support ECC memory (at least on this board).

It's your memory, I'm afraid. X9S boards do not support Registered ECC (RDIMM) nor non-ECC RAMs. They only support x8 ECC only RAMs. I know ECC Registered is actually cheaper than ECC only but this board only supports ECC only. There is no way around it.

If you want 32GB total with this then you need these:

http://www.superbiiz.com/query.php?categry=0&s=W1600EB8GM
Yes just DL the manual and only Unbuffered ECC RAM is supported.

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C202_C204/MNL-1270.pdf
Page 2-11 - 2-12
**** me, thought I screened for all the usual stuff when specing the build. This is my first server, so I'm completely new to server components and their sensitivities. Anyway I've ordered the new RAM, ... wasn't going to install a OS on this system until Windows Server 2012 was released (should be in a few days) so no real delay here.

Thanks for the help gentleman (or ladies), I'll be sure to come back here and post an update!

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Updates with happy news are always welcomed.
I've learned from this.

This is good for others looking at server builds, but not good to go through at the time.

Unbuffered ECC RAM best for LGA1155 servers
Registerd ECC RAM best for LGA1365/2011 boards.

CHECK that new memory is NOT Quad Ranked !!
It's not listed in the manual only single and double
You may end up here again with more bad news

Last edited:

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Nevermind, i walk talking chit. I though the i3 2120 was the only i3 with integrated graphics. Usually supermicro wont support integrated gpu solutions but i see no way around it with the 'supported' i3's and pentiums.

Last edited:

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
If you have the latest BIOS (2.0a, I think) it will actually boot with i5 or i7 only with UDIMM (no ECC or registered) but as far as I know you need ECC UDIMM for i3 & Xeon.