No external link on X722 on Asus Z11PA-U12/10G-2S - same-vendor loopback works

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bzzz

Jul 14, 2018
Hey,
some networking oddity here, maybe someone can help me out.
I recently got an Asus Z11PA-U12/10G-2S with the dual-port Intel X722 onboard. Previous setup was a single-port Mellanox ConnectX3 per machine, linked via some FS DAC cable. Naturally, I'd like to throw one card out and just use the onboard NIC.
Thing is: I do not get a link, but everything seems to work individually. The seller kindly included his old Finisar 10G SFP+ modules as well (and I got 2m of regular OM3), so I can test a couple variants.

CX3 + CX3 + DAC: Fine
CX3 + CX3 + OM3: Fine
X722 + X722 + OM3: Fine
X722 + X722 + DAC: Fine (at least after running GitHub - bibigon812/xl710-unlocker: Unlock Intel XL710 / X710 cards for use with any SFP+ which didn't display any "locked" configuration, though)

However:
CX3 + X722 + DAC: Nope
CX3 + X722 + OM3: Nope

X722 says no link and "Supported ports: [ ]" once I'm in mixed configuration. Otherwise, the link is up instantly.

So the SFPs seem to be accepted universally, all cards work with proper 10G links when they're up with their same-brand counterpart, but Mellanox and Intel do not talk to each other. Am I missing some important configuration detail here?