No drives detected by LSI 2308 (On-board SM)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
I'm wiring up my backplane to my on-board LSI 2308. I went full dummy and ordered HP cable (538872-002) SFF 8087 > SATA w/ Sideband when I should've got the SuperMicro CBL-0097L-03 cable.. maybe.

Chassic: CSE-825
Board: X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD
Backplane: BPN-SAS-825TQ

So the HP sideband was totally wired for the G6 system, I tried to find the best pictures I could find and copied I believe how the SM cable is leading from the 8087 w/ clip pointing up tracing wires.

When I hook up the side band now, all my LED's light up RED on the front, but LSI configuration still doesn't detect any drives. This is the first time I've dealt with anything like this before and documentation is slim after searching for hours last night/this morning.

With my backplane, I can go I^2C or SGPIO (Unsure what I really need), I'm just going JBOD and using Drivepool.

Here are the [pictures](Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet) I was trying to copy off the best I could.

The latest firmware I tried to flash on my board for the LSI pretty much killed the card, meaning it was disabled and bugged out until I flashed a older version. Current versioning

* FW: 20.00.02.00
* NVDATA: 14.01.00.14
* OPROM: 7.39.00.00_07.27.01.00

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I'm wiring up my backplane to my on-board LSI 2308. I went full dummy and ordered HP cable (538872-002) SFF 8087 > SATA w/ Sideband when I should've got the SuperMicro CBL-0097L-03 cable.. maybe.
I show that part number as "0.5-Meter MiniSAS (SFF-8087, Target) to (4) 7-pin SATA (Host, Controller) Breakout Cable, Crossover." which would mean it is a reverse breakout cable. You need a normal breakout cable.
When I hook up the side band now, all my LED's light up RED on the front, but LSI configuration still doesn't detect any drives. This is the first time I've dealt with anything like this before and documentation is slim after searching for hours last night/this morning.
You don't need the sideband hooked up to detect the drives. I'd leave it disconnected for now until you get the basics working.
With my backplane, I can go I^2C or SGPIO (Unsure what I really need), I'm just going JBOD and using Drivepool.
Is this a new chassis, or a used one? On my SC836 chassis (new), connecting the SFF-8087 cable (both ends) to the backplane (SAS2 non-expander) and controller (9201-16i) was sufficient to get the fault LEDs working.
The latest firmware I tried to flash on my board for the LSI pretty much killed the card, meaning it was disabled and bugged out until I flashed a older version. Current versioning

* FW: 20.00.02.00
* NVDATA: 14.01.00.14
* OPROM: 7.39.00.00_07.27.01.00
You really want 20.00.04.00 or newer (the latest is 20.00.07.00). Just using the appropriate LSI flasher should be fine - no need to play around with advanced options if the controller is already running generic LSI firmware that's relatively recent.

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
I show that part number as "0.5-Meter MiniSAS (SFF-8087, Target) to (4) 7-pin SATA (Host, Controller) Breakout Cable, Crossover." which would mean it is a reverse breakout cable. You need a normal breakout cable.

You don't need the sideband hooked up to detect the drives. I'd leave it disconnected for now until you get the basics working.

Is this a new chassis, or a used one? On my SC836 chassis (new), connecting the SFF-8087 cable (both ends) to the backplane (SAS2 non-expander) and controller (9201-16i) was sufficient to get the fault LEDs working.

You really want 20.00.04.00 or newer (the latest is 20.00.07.00). Just using the appropriate LSI flasher should be fine - no need to play around with advanced options if the controller is already running generic LSI firmware that's relatively recent.
I was starting to wonder that the cable was screwing me. The whole forward, reverse cables got me all confused at first. Me assuming at first they were all the same, which I was wrong. I got a SM Part# in-route which I found someone had spares laying around, just gotta paying shipping.

Used Chassis. Also 20.00.02.00 was the latest I found (Didn't do much digging), I also used the right LSI Flasher and it went smoothly this time. The initial time I flashed was when I first got the board and it had a custom Cisco/SM BIOS and really old LSI FW.

Welp, I appreciate you chiming in. I wanted to be certain I wasn't overlooking anything about this. Glad (unfortunately) it's a damn cable.

Reactions: VicServer