NICs and reverse breakout cabling

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

intuitive

Jun 23, 2021
So I am drafting a research project regarding datacenter networking.
Does anyone know if there exist some commodity NICs that support "reversed" breakout cables?
I would like to have something like

SERVER0
[200G]
|--> [50G] SERVER 1
|--> [50G] SERVER 2
|--> [50G] SERVER 3
|--> [50G] SERVER 4

I have Mellanox ConnectX5 and 6, in different versions, but it looks like it is not supported on any of them, but I didn't tested yet.

I read that the new Intel X810 should support this setup but I didn't find any resource.
Also the Netronome Agilio card seem to support it, but I would like something "dumber" ;)

Thanks for any tips!

Jul 19, 2020
4x100 requires more PCIe BW than is currently available (gen 5 x16). But the bigger issue is that usually you don't need a lot of ports on the NIC end, usually only switch ports support bifurcation so they can be used with multiple NICs. There are a few oddball NICs that do support breakout cables, though. But these are already very niche and I don't think they are getting more common.

intuitive

Jun 23, 2021
Yes I'm aware of the PCIe limitation.
It was mainly an idea about "how can we structure services without routers", I am not fully interested of using the whole 200gbps.
But it looks like it is a very niche sector, and it seems hard to find the correct hardware....

Jul 19, 2020
Sounds like you want an on-NIC switch, basically. I know Intel made their Red Rock Canyon parts a few years ago that can do something along those lines - several PCIe host interfaces, plus several 100G Ethernet interfaces. I think those were discontinued; and I'm not sure if there is anything more recent with similar capabilities. At least outside of FPGA-based solutions.