Nice dual E5-2650 v1 server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
thanks for the post / info, on a side note (joke)... on that 1 CPU 16gb ram unit, i cant believe supermicro makes a chassis *THAT* crappy lol. for a manufacture who makes such amazing quality parts (chassis and MBs, i LOVE SM stuff) i had to laugh when i saw that chassis in the ebay listing ( and had to do a double take on the label to be sure it was real SM). Maybe it works for some home setups, but JEEZ!

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
thanks for the post / info, on a side note (joke)... on that 1 CPU 16gb ram unit, i cant believe supermicro makes a chassis *THAT* crappy lol. for a manufacture who makes such amazing quality parts (chassis and MBs, i LOVE SM stuff) i had to laugh when i saw that chassis in the ebay listing ( and had to do a double take on the label to be sure it was real SM). Maybe it works for some home setups, but JEEZ!
Called market segmentation..

Reactions: Patrick and Patriot

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
@james23 I think you've mistaken a case that is not feature rich for one that is of crappy quality. The SC5xx models are as you mention very basic, but there are many business cases for a low cost short depth chassis that runs a system with few drives or add in cards. A great example would be @Patrick using one for his Xeon D testing.

I have two of these cases and the build quality is quite good (everything always fits neatly) with none of the razor sharp edges you'll find in some cases. The other nice thing is they are so cheap new you don't have to worry about finding good deals on used cases. The two I use are for machines running pfsense and a few other low resource always on services. I don't know why I'd want a larger, louder and more power hungry chassis for that.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nice find on both! Looks like the second one was already bought by someone.