Newegg: AsRock Rack ROMED8U-2T Micro-ATX Server Motherboard AMD SP3 (LGA4094) EPYC 7003 and 7002 Series Dual 10GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
This looks like a pretty neat board. What are you guys planning on running CPU / memory-wise? With RDIMMs, you can only get up to 64GB and would have to use LR to get 128GB, which is where I'd want to be. The memory QVL only has 64GB DIMMs of LR =/ Finding a small-footprint chassis with this combo might be attractive.

Reactions: Samir

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
I'm using mine as a NAS running TrueNAS Core 13. I have a 7302P (cheap 16/32 Epyc) and 8x32GB DDR4 ECC.

I run a few VMs on it for various stuff.

I want to acquire some U.3 drives to utilize the PCIE 4.0 x4 slimsas connectors.

Reactions: T_Minus and Samir

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
128GB RDIMMa are there from at least two vendors, one is samsung.
I didn't read the description properly as it says " Max. Capacity per DIMM " and not Max per DIMM type. That makes things easier, and thanks for pointing that out.

I'm using mine as a NAS running TrueNAS Core 13. I have a 7302P (cheap 16/32 Epyc) and 8x32GB DDR4 ECC.

I want to acquire some U.3 drives to utilize the PCIE 4.0 x4 slimsas connectors.
That's my intended use case for this board as well. I'm on TrueNAS core 13 right now and want to migrate to SCALE and get on a new platform. Are there any issues you've run into using it so far?

What case are you rocking? I currently have a SuperChassis 846BA-R920B, but I would love to downsize and build something with many SSDs. I think the 3 PCIe slots would suffice. I've got a few 826s, which might pair up with this nicely if a >2U cooler that worked well is an option.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I didn't read the description properly as it says " Max. Capacity per DIMM " and not Max per DIMM type. That makes things easier, and thanks for pointing that out.
note the manual can be old. and can not say what's possible in the future.
LRDIMM contains additional buffer for data lines, makes things not easier for BIOS to setup the memory controller,
this programming is human made, LRDIMM works if things go right, but......
RDIMM 3DS is just RDIMM with higher Rank count.
we have only 1DPC (DIMM per channel)
1 RDIMM-3DS 4Rx4/8 is the same as 2 RDIMM 2Rx4/8 (on 2DPC boards)

Reactions: Samir and odditory

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
Thats an utterly fantastic deal imo... REALLY hope theyre not discontinuing the board, just that big of a sale, especially across multiple vendors, just makes me wonder...

These boards are fantastic. I know at least one customer whos homogenized their storage on these for their ceph cluster. Last I spoke with them, they were up to some ~300 of them in production. Whether "cuz ceph, duh" (or to what degree the MB plays in to it I can't say), but that is pretty much the *only* part of the deployment they *don't* complain about!

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
Does anyone know if Asrock is better at keeping up with AGESA/UEFI support (or whatever the epyc equivalent is) on this board compared to their AM4/AM5 boards? Edit: It's been about a year since this board got a firmware update so I'm going to pass.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Does anyone know if Asrock is better at keeping up with AGESA/UEFI support (or whatever the epyc equivalent is) on this board compared to their AM4/AM5 boards? Edit: It's been about a year since this board got a firmware update so I'm going to pass.
for that reason i am done with ASRock Rack.
but if you have issues they usualy provide a beta BIOS. you have to beg for it.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
I have no issues on Truenas Core 13. Everything just worked.

I currently have it racked in a 3U case but I'm looking to buy one of those 15 bay ones from 45drives in the future.

Phenic

Mar 17, 2015

What's the power consumption like?

Reactions: fossxplorer

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I'm also curious about power consumption with e.g an EPYC 7313P.
That again will affect cooling requirement and expected noise for my home lab.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
I can tell you that with a romed8-2t (ie. ATX version of this board) and a 7702p, I was getting about 50-60 watts of power at idle with one m.2 connected. Also had a platinum 1200 watt PSU connected at the time.

Reactions: fossxplorer

Continuum

Jun 5, 2015
Virginia
x4 ?? Be careful you don't order wrong cables.
I second this. The motherboard has low profile slimsas connectors, not the normal slimsas connectors. I've been looking for the past few weeks for low profile slimsas to U.2 cables without any luck. I've found low profile slimsas to occulink and low profile slimsas to minisas hd. If you find some low profile slimsas to U.2/U.3 cables, I would be very interested in knowing where you found those cable.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
I bought these but have yet to try them out. I ran out of funding until after the holidays.

“Retailking” just resells from Newegg. Newegg sells it for significantly cheaper

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-low-profile-slimsas-to-u-3-cable/p/N82E16816775083?Item=N82E16816775083

Reactions: Beaflag VonRathburg