NewEgg - 4x 120GB SSD Now = 179

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
Endurance Testing the Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD

Kingston just confirmed the severe speed issues. This is a "feature" called Drive Life Protection - DLP and it will "throttle back its performance to reduce writes" in order "to protect itself to ensure the warranty period".​

Doing the math in my head I can't imagine this being a real-world issue on these drives, but that "feature" really bothers me.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
What's even more bothering is a while back I remember reading something about how Kingston denied that issue before as either being non-existent or not being something worth "crying over spilt" milk over or something. I'd stay away from these drives. I believe the K series is the enterprise line from them right?

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
In other words no good for cheap zil or for an OS drive as will probably hit endurance "feature" doing Handbrake encodes.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Endurance Testing the Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD

Kingston just confirmed the severe speed issues. This is a "feature" called Drive Life Protection - DLP and it will "throttle back its performance to reduce writes" in order "to protect itself to ensure the warranty period".

Doing the math in my head I can't imagine this being a real-world issue on these drives, but that "feature" really bothers me.
this does not make sense for me..

thanks for posting the information...

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Glad I asked here first before jumping on this deal. Does anyone know if the same type of shadiness is true of their RAM products? Thanks

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
They have had some RAM that "worked" and then the same model just "stopped working" in boards it had worked for in the past, their RAM has not bee consistent as others IMHO over the years. But a working stick is likely to keep working in my experience... I do run their RAM :) but am sure to know about the specifics of what I'm buying at the time (which is important when they swap parts different year(s))

I also have some of the old Kingston SSD and iirc they were just intel-rebrands, not sure about these.

adamsir2

Aug 23, 2015
I used to recommend these drives but not any more. I had one in my 2011 mac mini and wouldn't get the advertised speeds, not even half, but it being a sata 3 drive in a sata 2 mac i wasn't surprised. Then I moved it to a basic pc after i sold the mini and noticed speeds would not go passed 350. After some searching i found out about their bait and switch. It also comes down to the controller. just about any sandforce ssd , including intels, are junk.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
They have had some RAM that "worked" and then the same model just "stopped working" in boards it had worked for in the past, their RAM has not bee consistent as others IMHO over the years.
For those that aren't aware, you can give THIS a read on the FreeNAS forums.

tl;dr
Appears to have change their RAM mid cycle without releasing as a new part number or revision. Consumers had no way of knowing. This caused issues when Supermicro X10 boards were fully loaded with their RAM. They subsequently removed their RAM as being compatible with these boards. Those that had early versions of the RAM never had a problem. Stupid and poor business practice.

FYI, I had this RAM early in production. It worked great and was cheap. Then they screwed people. I buy other brands from now on.