Newb Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
What's the purpose of a dedicated IPMI network connection?
I don't see any difference compared to not having it connected.
It's for people who want to make sure that the IPMI stuff isn't exposed to the same network that the server's "data" connection sits on (you probably don't want Joe User having access to the IPMI interface, since that would make it much easier for Harry Hacker to access it too), and it also facilitates physical segregation for a management network (which'll frequently be on a much more locked-down network and often on a different set of network switches as well).

Reactions: Gadgetguru

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
What's the purpose of a dedicated IPMI network connection? My motherboard has 1x Realtek RTL8201N PHY (dedicated IPMI). So now that I have located my server to the room it will stay in, I've routed three ethernet cables to it, for the 2 NICs and this dedicated IPMI. I don't see any difference compared to not having it connected.

I'd like to upgrade to 10GB SFP+ as soon as I can afford it. I'm also looking at building a security camera system w/ PoE switch, cameras, and a WD purple drive. I've done a little bit of reading here on STH about it.

on 10gb side... I'm up and running on 10gb on very, and I mean very old cards... but I'm $75 in.. and I'm getting 1.03GB/s transfer speeds!!!!!!!!!!

I have the cx4 connector style hp ConnectX-1 cards.. even ConnectX-2 cards...
Switch I got for $50 shipped...

Mellanox MHGH28-XTC ConnectX VPI Dual-Port 0119 | eBay

switch
HP ProCurve J8433A 6400cl-6XG 6 Port 10Gbe CX4 FULLY TESTED WARRANTY 6xAvailable 829160454993 | eBay

get a few cables.. done.. I love it.. and got a full how to on getting newer fw on them.
they do RDMA as well!!!!