New ZFS storage server with napp-it - Some problems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nilsga

Mar 8, 2011
I'm setting up my storage server, inspired by the "All-in-One" napp-it setup. I have installed ESXi, created a VM with latest OpenIndiana, and installed napp-it. I have set up the /tank pool, and I try to create a ZFS Folder shared by SMB. Aparently, something was missing, because I had to install a SMB package before I could enable sharing i the napp-it GUI. Nevertheless, I got through that step, and now I'm trying to mount the share on my ESXi server, but it can't connect because the credentials are refused. I have set the sharing to "full_set", so shouldn't everyone have access? I have tried mounting it both without user/password and with user accounts on the OpenIndiana server. Have I missed something?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
ESX cannot use a SMB share.

ESX can only use two file systems to store VIrtual Machines - VMFS - a VMWare file system and NFS

nilsga

Mar 8, 2011
Thanks. Helped a lot trying to follow the NFS instructions instead of SMB. SMB still doesn't work from my Win7 computer, but that's not critical. Has anyone tried installing ESXi _and_ OpenIndiana to a USB stick? Would be nice to free the on board SATA controller for passthrough to the VM.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
ESXi does not allow to create datastores on usb sticks.
When it would be possible, loading ESXi is a matter of minutes,
loading Openindiana a real pain - not an option for a full featured OS