new to me server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jim k

Jan 31, 2023
i acquired a used SUPERMICRO CSE-216 24x2.5" Bay H8DGU-F 2x AMD Opteron 6168 1.9GHz 32GB 2U Server . I went into the bios setting and set the ipmi to dhcp.
How do I find the ip address that is assigned to the ipmi port. I even tried setting a staic ip address and no change

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Are you sure you're plugged into the management network port?

I use Advanced IP Scanner in windows to scan for IPs of devices I'm adding\testing and may be set to static, but setting it in there should work too.

jim k

Jan 31, 2023

I use Advanced IP Scanner in windows to scan for IPs of devices I'm adding\testing and may be set to static, but setting it in there should work too.
Thank you for the reply. I am plugged into the correct port. I will try using the software you suggested tomorrow night.

Reactions: T_Minus

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
One of supermicros tool can also scan the network for bmc/impmi devices (even non supermicro ones :D)

Reactions: T_Minus

jim k

Jan 31, 2023

I ran the program tonight. It found the ip address as I figured it would, so I tried to ping the address and that failed.

any other suggestions?

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
i acquired a used SUPERMICRO CSE-216 24x2.5" Bay H8DGU-F 2x AMD Opteron 6168 1.9GHz 32GB 2U Server . I went into the bios setting and set the ipmi to dhcp.
How do I find the ip address that is assigned to the ipmi port. I even tried setting a staic ip address and no change
Hello,
under Linux OS " ipmitool lan print " should report IP adress, GW, netmask and other settings.... (there is ipmitool.exe from windows)
When you enter in BIOS it should report current IP of IPMI in sub- menu ( IPMI related).

lbmdk

Oct 14, 2022
To find an DHCP assigned address, just check the dhcp leases.

But if an static IP aint working either, then check cables.Which port is it plugged in?

jim k

Jan 31, 2023
Update to my issue. I tried to run the ipmicfg tool by creating a bootable usb drive using rufus. when i try and run the tool i get an error saying Allocation of DOS memory failed.

lbmdk

Oct 14, 2022
Try to go back a little.
It seems like an non-working ethernet connection. In which port is the cable plugged in ? Can you describe, show an picture, of reffer to an manual or something. AND does the NIC have an active link ?

jim k

Jan 31, 2023
network cable is connected to the port above usb ports.
As stated before I used advance ip scanner. It sees the ip address. I then Try and ping the address and the ping timesout with no response.
I also tried typing the ip address into the search bar in my web browser and that also says no response. both light are lit on the port. I also have tried this as a static ip and dhcp no change. I also tried supermicro ipmi finder tool with no success.

I have also tried the ipmitool in ubuntu it also errors out

I have attached a pdf of motherboard

Attachments

lbmdk

Oct 14, 2022
Sounds very very strange. Defective port, cable maybe...
If you set it to DHCP was an IP assigned to it ?