New to fiber, trying to build 10gb network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Sep 22, 2015
I bought 2x of MELLANOX CONNECTX 2 10GbE ETHERNET NETWORK SERVER ADAPTER MNPA19-XTR Mellanox Connectx 2 10GbE Ethernet Network Server Adapter MNPA19 XTR | eBay

My plan is to put one in my VMWare server and the other in my desktop. The issue is that these are separated by several rooms, so I'd need to run a cable between the two. I'm planning on buying 2x Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Module - $16

At this point, I need multimode fiber between the two. I can't cut or drill holes in the walls, so I plan to run the fiber on the surface of the wall. Should I get regular 2.0mm fiber like

LC-LC Duplex 10G OM4 50/125 Multimode Fiber Patch Cable

or, since it'll be stapled to the wall, armored cable like:

LC-LC Duplex 10G OM4 50/125 Multimode Armored Fiber Patch Cable for Sale | Fiberstore

At some point, I'm planning on upgrading to one of the MikroTik cloud switches, like this: Amazon.com: MikroTik - CRS125-24G-1S-IN - , Cloud Router Gigabit Switch, 24x 10/100/1000 Mbit/s Gigabit Ethernet with AutoMDI/X, Fully manageable Layer3, RouterOS v6, Level 5 license.: Computers & Accessories

Will the transceiver above work with this? Do I need to buy specific brands for specific equipment?

Thanks for all your help, I've never worked with fiber before.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Looking at that picture I'm not sure how "armored" that cable would be, I would put it in some sort of cable management channel.

Reactions: MiniKnight

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Running fiber on the surface of a wall has unique challenges. Even in molding style track the bend radius around corners is enough to cause a lot of loss and sometimes break the fiber.

As odd as it sounds, go with a singlemode bend-insensitive fiber patch cord between the rooms. Some is rated to staple but it is more expensive. Your best option is running the molding style channel and running the regular bend-insenitive fiber in that.

The SM optics will be slightly more expensive. Fiberstore offers some affordable ones that'll work great.