New server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boehamian

Nov 10, 2023
OK. So bought a budget system for a server with specs below to get me into building my first home server.
64gb ram ddr4
Msi z790 board
13500 I series cpu
Name drive, case. Etc etc.

Then a mate put me onto a lot of second hand amd epyc stuff on ebay. Then I had a thought. Seeing as I have just bought a new case etc and the computer i just bought is far better then my gaming rig could I kill 2 problems with 1 stone and get a upgrade on my current computer (use the 1080 I have in my current machine) and get a server at the same time.

So my thought was, buy the supermicro motherboard, epyc cpu and ram attached to this post, use the new case and power supply for the server and put the motherboard ram and Intel cpu etc into my gaming rig. Thus not wasting any parts.

As I'm an apprentice I can't really afford a big expensive gaming rig and my current one is an Intel i7 950 1st gen and just can't keep up with the latest games.

Has anyone used these epyc 7551p cpu and are they any good? What's the power consumption and what do I need to tame such a cpu cooling wise?
I have checked it will fit in the current case. Not too familiar with the server CPUs.

Attachments

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
What exactly do you expect to do with your server?

Since this is your first server, that usually means you don't have any specific goals - just a bunch of ideas that you want to try out. Personally I would start out using the old components out of your gaming rig as your server build. Obviously the old gaming rig is not going to be the perfect server platform, but it should work just fine as a "starter" lab platform to test things out on and see what you really will end up doing. By the time you "outgrow" the old gaming rig, you will probably have a much better idea of your goals are and can probably make better decisions about what you need or don't need in a new server build.

Boehamian

Nov 10, 2023
As I used to be in the IT game I do have a good indication of what I want. I have got the server to not only to do what i want but to teach myself and upskill as I have been out of the game a while. It will come back to me eventually.

My gaming rig is a fair bit old and doesnt have the physical pci slots, nor the modern features in the cpu to handle a few things planned for this build (it's only pci gen 2). I don't think I could trust it to be running as a server as it's on its last legs.

Things planned
Domain, dns and dhcp management
Cctv server (blue iris)
Plex server
Next cloud hosting
Email server (haven't decided on which one yet)
Home assistant
Also working on my own BMS system with a program called citect SCADA.
Few game servers

By all means not a huge lot of work but figured I have the ability to kill 2 birds with one stone with the hardware already purchased. Eventually I will have 2 servers but that's later on when funds permit for failover

Boehamian

Nov 10, 2023
Just looking and doing the maths on power consumption I don't think it's worth it. The epyc cpu uses a lot more power than the one I bought would.thanks all for the advice.

Reactions: T_Minus