new server for my home

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

waspsoton

Feb 26, 2016
Intel Xeon E5-2637 x2
Supermicro X10DRi-B
LSI SAS 9211-8I
X-Case eXtra Value 24 Bay

what do we think. planning on running esxi so can run xpenology and plex. want to be able to stream 1080p and maybe 2 4k streams.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Why the E5-2637 choice? Seems an odd CPU for a 2P build

Someone here has a E5-1620 for $75 which is basically a lower power option than running 2 of your selected CPUs, clocked higher too!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
That looks like it will be a really nice build, but I have to agree with @T_Minus I think it's bordering overkill for what you are saying your planning for it, unless you are going to be doing something else with it that actually needs the horses :)

For comparison, I am using a single Xeon 1245 v2 with 32GB RAM and ESXi 6u2. I have a Debian based VM running ZoL, providing a few ZVol's for my storage over iscsi, another Debian based VM running Plex and other little useful trinkets, a server 2012 VM providing domain services to my network and a CentOS 5 based VM running a small Asterisk PBX. None of it even taxes the CPU. I have an Intel Quad Gbps card doing LACP to my switch and I can and regularly do, stream several 1080p streams to devices around my home while playing with other VM's etc. Aside from raising the temp in the box a couple of degrees when it's running full blast on load, it never breaks a sweat. I would imagine this experience is generally repeated here in the forums. I haven't tried streaming 4K, nor do I have the endpoints to support it so can't really comment on viability, but I would think that my little setup would cope with perhaps 1 or 2 4K streams so long as I was not doing anything too serious elsewhere.

waspsoton

Feb 26, 2016
I am just trying to future proof it as much as possible. Would like to be able to run a hackintosh vm

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I am just trying to future proof it as much as possible. Would like to be able to run a hackintosh vm

I think STH'ers are asleep on this one!!!

Those E5 V2 CPUs need LGA socket 2011 not 2011-3. Basically, the motherboard and CPU's you picked are incompatible. You need either V3 CPUs or a X9 series version of that board (Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DRi-F is the same board)

One other idea for you, is that if you're buying a new motherboard and don't already have the LSI controller, you can get one with the LSI built-in. X9 series that'd be this Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DR7-LN4F-JBOD except that board has 4 1GbE and a 1 generation newer LSI hba (2308 vs 2008)

If you're going for V3 CPUs, something like this one - Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DRH-CLN4 would be a good choice.

With the X10 / V3 combo you get 10 6gbps SATA3 ports. With the X9/ V2 combo you get 2 6gbps SATA3 and 8 3gbps SATA2. Especially if you're using cheap and fast SATA SSDs, the X10 / V3 combo essentially gives you another 8-port 6gbps HBA onboard unless you need SAS.

waspsoton

Feb 26, 2016
What about Xeon e5-2620 v3

I think STH'ers are asleep on this one!!!

Those E5 V2 CPUs need LGA socket 2011 not 2011-3. Basically, the motherboard and CPU's you picked are incompatible. You need either V3 CPUs or a X9 series version of that board (Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DRi-F is the same board)

One other idea for you, is that if you're buying a new motherboard and don't already have the LSI controller, you can get one with the LSI built-in. X9 series that'd be this Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DR7-LN4F-JBOD except that board has 4 1GbE and a 1 generation newer LSI hba (2308 vs 2008)

If you're going for V3 CPUs, something like this one - Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DRH-CLN4 would be a good choice.

With the X10 / V3 combo you get 10 6gbps SATA3 ports. With the X9/ V2 combo you get 2 6gbps SATA3 and 8 3gbps SATA2. Especially if you're using cheap and fast SATA SSDs, the X10 / V3 combo essentially gives you another 8-port 6gbps HBA onboard unless you need SAS.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
12 Cores instead of 4... a nice jump in cores, but a drop in frequency.

If you want to keep high frequency and middle road on the cores the E5-1650 V3 is a great choice, it will draw less power than 2 CPUs too... not sure if you really "need" 2 physical CPUs or 12 Cores for streaming 2 streams. The 1650 will handle streaming with ease and provide some fast cores for a virtualized desktop...

waspsoton

Feb 26, 2016
Well my current server is used by 5 users outside of my network. This server needs to last me a fair few years. Looking a good cpu e5-1650 does look like a good cpu

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Well my current server is used by 5 users outside of my network. This server needs to last me a fair few years. Looking a good cpu e5-1650 does look like a good cpu
Just as a point of reference my server has a Xeon D-1540 and my server is used by 20+ people remotely. I often times have 6-10 streams going at once and the D-1540 handles it without issue. Here is a comparison of it compared to the E5-1650 v3 just FYI.

PassMark - CPU Performance Comparison

Also, if you are using Plex you can now use their Optimized Versions to create different versions of your media for more direct play support to take some of the workload off the CPU. Storage is so cheap these days (I have all 8TB disks in my server) so why not.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Just as a point of reference my server has a Xeon D-1540 and my server is used by 20+ people remotely. I often times have 6-10 streams going at once and the D-1540 handles it without issue. Here is a comparison of it compared to the E5-1650 v3 just FYI.

PassMark - CPU Performance Comparison

Also, if you are using Plex you can now use their Optimized Versions to create different versions of your media for more direct play support to take some of the workload off the CPU. Storage is so cheap these days (I have all 8TB disks in my server) so why not.
8TB disks...yowza, enjoy those rebuild times, hope you have a good raid strategy and a damn good backup. :-D

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I spoke to someone who was using Redbox and original Netflix for movies. He lost his "backups" and has been spending months re-doing his collection.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
8TB disks...yowza, enjoy those rebuild times, hope you have a good raid strategy and a damn good backup. :-D
Did a rebuild a few weeks ago and it took 24 hours the same as my parity checks. And yes I have a full backup of my array that is off-site via VPN. I only store bulk media on these array's so even if I lost additional disks beyond parity having to re-populate the lost disk(s) worth of media is not going to kill me.

Reactions: rubylaser

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Did a rebuild a few weeks ago and it took 24 hours the same as my parity checks. And yes I have a full backup of my array that is off-site via VPN. I only store bulk media on these array's so even if I lost additional disks beyond parity having to re-populate the lost disk(s) worth of media is not going to kill me.
+1 this is a great reason to use something like UnRAID or SnapRAID for your bulk media.

waspsoton

Feb 26, 2016
I really want to use dsm (xpenology) as the apps ds file and ds download mean I don't need to use my pc. Although if there is a better way I would be happy to try something new

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
12 Cores instead of 4... a nice jump in cores, but a drop in frequency.

If you want to keep high frequency and middle road on the cores the E5-1650 V3 is a great choice, it will draw less power than 2 CPUs too... not sure if you really "need" 2 physical CPUs or 12 Cores for streaming 2 streams. The 1650 will handle streaming with ease and provide some fast cores for a virtualized desktop...
Unfortunately, E5-1650 V3 is not compatible with OP's motherboard. It needs an E5-2600 v3/v4 series and doesnt take E5-1600 series.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Unfortunately, E5-1650 V3 is not compatible with OP's motherboard. It needs an E5-2600 v3/v4 series and doesnt take E5-1600 series.
As far as I can tell he started this thread to ask for opinions about his build... not telling us the hardware he already purchased.