New Server Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rst6616

Mar 13, 2011
My planned server hardware is as follows:
Server:
-Supermicro X8ST3-F motherboard
-12gig ecc un-buffered Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK3/12G
-Intel Quad Xeon 2ghz E5504 or Xeon 3.06ghz W3550 (not selected yet)
-existing sata Seagate drives 4-320gig & 2-750gig (all 7200rpm server grade) for secondary storage pool
-3 new sata Samsung drives F4 2TB for primary performance pool
-SSD flash drive (not selected yet)

Workstations:
existing windows 7 on 1000mhz local network

Goals: maximum network & server performance & reliability running XFSguru.

The new motherboard has 6 sata ports and then 8 individual SAS ports.

Recommended cpu?

What ports do I use to connect the SSD flash drive, the six existing hard drives, and 3 new hard drives on to the Supermicro X8ST3-F motherboard?

For the eight SAS ports, what are the correct connecting cables?

Thanks

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
For the CPU i would look at the E5606 or E5607 because they are based on newer manufacturing process and are more efficient.
FYI you still need a HSF (Xeons do not come with HSF like desktop CPUs).

Thought about replacing the older drives? two more samsungs would give you more space and you would be using less HDDs. I would put the SSD on the Intel SATA. As for the others are you going to RAID them?

For the SAS ports you can use 7pin SATA cables if going straight to the HDD. If you have a backplane or SAS drives then we will need more info :)

EDIT: Also even though the W**** series Xeons do come with HSF its hard to recommend them because there is no upgrade path and they really are no different than a desktop CPU with a higher price tag. E/L/X series Xeons have dual QPI which allow them to be used in DP Boards for a dual processor setup. So if down the road you need more power you could just upgrade the board and pick a matching CPU. With the W series you are basically starting over.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The big benefit to the W series CPUs is that one gets ECC support and desktop speeds for desktop prices. For example, I have a new sealed W3550 that I'm going to end up selling for like $260 (bought around $300 new and never used.) That's a 3.06GHz part. Compare that to the E5506 or E5507 (or newer E5606/7) and it is only a bit more money for hyper-threading and a much higher clock speed. The difference is a lot less once the HSF unit is included.

For a small ZFSguru server as mentioned above, a W3550 would be more than adequate.

The cabling advice above is spot on.

rst6616

Mar 13, 2011
For the CPU i would look at the E5606 or E5607 because they are based on newer manufacturing process and are more efficient.
FYI you still need a HSF (Xeons do not come with HSF like desktop CPUs).

Thought about replacing the older drives? two more samsungs would give you more space and you would be using less HDDs.

I would put the SSD on the Intel SATA. As for the others are you going to RAID them?

For the SAS ports you can use 7pin SATA cables if going straight to the HDD. If you have a backplane or SAS drives then we will need more info :)

EDIT: Also even though the W**** series Xeons do come with HSF its hard to recommend them because there is no upgrade path and they really are no different than a desktop CPU with a higher price tag. E/L/X series Xeons have dual QPI which allow them to be used in DP Boards for a dual processor setup. So if down the road you need more power you could just upgrade the board and pick a matching CPU. With the W series you are basically starting over.
Yes I will replace drives, but was hoping only as they wear out. Otherwise they will just be wasted.

I haven't even thought about configurations yet. So far, I am thinking that the 3 new drives would be Raid-Z but don't yet know what to do with the existing drives. If I try to use them all, there doesn't seem to be any room on the normal sata ports for the SSD. Perhaps I will be forced to retire some of these existing drives.

Good to know I just need normal sata cables for the SAS ports. No backplane or SAS drives planned. Hoping to fit all drives in one large case. .

Right now I am not thinking of dual cpu's. By the time I am ready to upgrade again, all motherboards & cpu's will be next generation.
Thanks for the helpful advise.

rst6616

Mar 13, 2011
The big benefit to the W series CPUs is that one gets ECC support and desktop speeds for desktop prices. For example, I have a new sealed W3550 that I'm going to end up selling for like $260 (bought around $300 new and never used.) That's a 3.06GHz part. Compare that to the E5506 or E5507 (or newer E5606/7) and it is only a bit more money for hyper-threading and a much higher clock speed. The difference is a lot less once the HSF unit is included.

For a small ZFSguru server as mentioned above, a W3550 would be more than adequate.

The cabling advice above is spot on.
Patrick, I wish I knew that you wanted to sell yours a bit sooner. I have already placed my order and don't know if I can reverse! If I can I will let you know.
Thanks for your quick response.

rst6616

Mar 13, 2011
Patrick, I wish I knew that you wanted to sell yours a bit sooner. I have already placed my order and don't know if I can reverse! If I can I will let you know.
Thanks for your quick response.
Patrick I am able to cancel my order if you are still interested. Perhaps my email would be a more appropriate place to arrange this

Last edited by a moderator: