New PWS-920P-SQ $130

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
I have been watching the pws-920p-sq for a few months - picking up some when the price was right (and getting ripped off and sent 2x 1R in one of the auctions). $130 with free US shipping has been my max - but the items have been used and one had signs of beeing dropped etc.

This is new and seller has a lot of them. I got one earlier today with global shipping - now that has been removed (don't know why) but they added more stock.

New Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ Redundant Power Supply, 80 PLUS Platinum - 920W

Good luck!

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
I just bought a couple of these last night, hopefully they ship soon so my sister can bring them to me. My PWS-902-1Rs are driving me nuts, even though they're in the basement furnace room!

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Does anyone know of quite, high efficiency Supermicro HS Power Supplies for their 2U Chassis (ie the 12 bay 2U sm Chassis)? (im looking for the power supply product numbers mainly) - id like to run some extra 12 bay 2U SM chasis i have as just HDD bays connected to my 24 bay 4U , but it kinda defeats the piont of having the quiet pws-920p-sq in my 4U if the 2U right next to it still has the loud standard SM PSU they come with.

Ive ready replaced several of my 24 bay 4U SM's with pws-920p-sq and they are excellent and WELL woth the price ( for their low noise and the power savings due to efficiency)
tks

groove

Sep 21, 2011
I'm planning to pick one of these for my SM 836-TQ chassis. Does anyone know if the power distribution boards of the 836-TQ will compatible with this psu ?
tks

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I'm planning to pick one of these for my SM 836-TQ chassis. Does anyone know if the power distribution boards of the 836-TQ will compatible with this psu ?
tks
Should work Supermicro uses 2 different width PSU connectors the 920-sq uses a narrow connector which works fine in a chassis that supports a narrow or wide connector. The PWS-1K28P-SQ uses a wide connector so only chassis that has a wide connector.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
These were shipped today, should have them tomorrow, and in my hands by Friday. Also, I looked back and saw that I paid $110 USD each actually. I didn't realize that it was a "deal", so I'm sorry for not posting it earlier, as it looks like the seller has been slowly increasing the price.

Also, this should work fine in my SM 846TQ-R900B chassis right? Is there a decent resale value on the existing PSUs I have?

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
To be honest - not much value, but nice to have as a spare! They work fine, but noisy as h... :) I only use 1 psu for each server due to cost.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
You need the whole part number for the chassis, not just the base model number. There were a couple revisions of the metalwork and it was offered with a variety of different power supplies.

You could also just buy a PDB-PT826-8824 (eBay link, a seller I've dealt with before) if you have the wrong power distribution board in your chassis.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Does anyone know of quite, high efficiency Supermicro HS Power Supplies for their 2U Chassis (ie the 12 bay 2U sm Chassis)? (im looking for the power supply product numbers mainly) - id like to run some extra 12 bay 2U SM chasis i have as just HDD bays connected to my 24 bay 4U , but it kinda defeats the piont of having the quiet pws-920p-sq in my 4U if the 2U right next to it still has the loud standard SM PSU they come with.

Ive ready replaced several of my 24 bay 4U SM's with pws-920p-sq and they are excellent and WELL woth the price ( for their low noise and the power savings due to efficiency)
tks
Well i can answer my own question ( I think :/ ) .. it looks like some SM PSUs are interchangeable between similar chassis but different height units- ie i just swapped my power supply from my test 4u and put it into my test 2u SC826TQ and it works great!).

So buying another PWS-920P-SQ (i have several in use and love them), should work fine in my SC826TQ (2u , 12 bay SM chassis). Does anyone have any info otherwise, or info as to why i shouldn't be doing this (this being using a "4U" PWS-920P-SQ power supply in my 2U SC826TQ chassis (2u , 12 bay).

Im sure you all know this link (SM power supply Matrix):
Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support
(i post the URL because there is a google link that points to a outdated Power supply matrix that is still live on the supermicro site, this link above seems to be an up to date Matrix)
Thanks

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Should work just fine. The 1280w and up require a Dremel mod to make them fit but once done, they work fine in older chassis. I have several of the 1280 SQ's.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I seem to recall people saying the 920p-SQ is more quiet than the other 1200w+ SQs
Yep, I remember reading this too but the 1280 isn't loud by any means. I have 4 of them and they were half the price of the 920's.

EDIT: I'm also running a PWS-920P-1R Platinum in my workstation and it's about 2 feet from my head. Can't hear it over the rest of the fans in the box. While this system isn't whisper quiet, it's far from objectionable. I think all the Platinums are pretty darn quiet, SQ or not.

Last edited:

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Should work Supermicro uses 2 different width PSU connectors the 920-sq uses a narrow connector which works fine in a chassis that supports a narrow or wide connector. The PWS-1K28P-SQ uses a wide connector so only chassis that has a wide connector.
Thanks for the feedback - ordering one now to start testing.....