New project: Mini Cluster in a Box v2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jyrki

May 14, 2013
You could power both Supermicro boards directly from single 12V psu without PicoPSU. Atleast my board works nicely when powered via 4-pin connector J1.

And don't do what you seem have done in all pics. A1SAi/A1SRi-series motherboard manual and quick reference guide have warning:
*Do not use the 4-pin DC power @J1 when the 24-pin ATX Power @JPW1 is connected to the
power supply. Do not plug in both J1 and JPW1 at the same time.

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
You could power both Supermicro boards directly from single 12V psu without PicoPSU. Atleast my board works nicely when powered via 4-pin connector J1.

And don't do what you seem have done in all pics. A1SAi/A1SRi-series motherboard manual and quick reference guide have warning:
Do you have pictures of your setup? I'm totally lost.

oakville

Dec 12, 2014
thanks for this post...only question i have is, is the storage shared? dont see icy dock allow access from multiple host...planning to build a cluster with shared file system (want to build a cluster file system on). can any one help me to clarify? thx

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
thanks for this post...only question i have is, is the storage shared? dont see icy dock allow access from multiple host...planning to build a cluster with shared file system (want to build a cluster file system on). can any one help me to clarify? thx
You can wire SATA cables to the individual drive slots in the Icy Dock. One hot swap cage with individual SATA cables to each drive.

oakville

Dec 12, 2014
thanks Patrick, but one physical disk can only be attached to one host? i.e, there can NOT be shared access from both Supermicro A1SAi-2750F? want to make the setup to be allow to have the storage can be access from both node, so i can build a cluster aware file system on... see if you can provide some hint, much appreciated

You can wire SATA cables to the individual drive slots in the Icy Dock. One hot swap cage with individual SATA cables to each drive.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
thanks Patrick, but one physical disk can only be attached to one host? i.e, there can NOT be shared access from both Supermicro A1SAi-2750F? want to make the setup to be allow to have the storage can be access from both node, so i can build a cluster aware file system on... see if you can provide some hint, much appreciated
Maybe I am tired but what you are asking I think you would need to add SAS cards, a dual port SAS backplane and dual port SAS drives.

oakville

Dec 12, 2014
thanks Patrick, much appreciate your hint, i think that is correct...as i wasnt so sure if the icy dock posted here have that capability...will see if i can add the in this feature, while still have everything in one box.

Maybe I am tired but what you are asking I think you would need to add SAS cards, a dual port SAS backplane and dual port SAS drives.