New Nas from scraps - in need of a hba or something like that

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jmoll

Jan 1, 2017
Everything else seems to be working well except copying from share to share on the fileserver ;/

Last edited:

jmoll

Jan 1, 2017
Maybe I should make another thread under the networking about this, I did do some rsync copies using cli of the fileserver and it is working as supposed from raid to raid. So it is for sure network/software related. I should have plenty of throughput on my network but for some reason it is very slooooow. I don't understand what is wrong with it. I could try and convert my shares to NFS but I have more experience in managing SMB shares so I'd rather keep it that way.

jmoll

Jan 1, 2017
The problem is now solved. I am not sure what fixed it. I did set send/receive buffers to max on my nic, updated the linux box, Uninstalled the Virus Scanner on my computer. One of these steps did fix the problem. I have a feeling that it was the virus scanner (F-Secure Safe)

Anyhow now it is all working very well.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
I disabled McAfee AV 8.8 on my File server as I found it slowed transfers down significantly.

jmoll

Jan 1, 2017
I am still changing my mind what caused the problem ;). It did affect to the copy speed and it did affect my iperf3 tests. But I couldn't accept the fact that decent virus scanner would slow me down to 30-50 mb/s with fast system/enviroment. I did try to reproduce the problem and I think what actually did fix it and I forgot to mention earlier that I did mess some smb settings

I did put in few lines in the smb.conf
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072
min receivefile size = 16384

I think these are far from optimal but I am getting now steady 300-400 MB/s between shares (with virusprotection on) and it is quick enough for now. I will try to educate myself on smb optimization for 10gbe.. maybe I can squeezee few more MB/s out of it.