New home server hurdles

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by Dorgin, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:58 PM.

1. Dorgin

Dorgin New Member

Apologies for any naivety on my part, I'm new to the server side of building.

Case: Supermicro CS846E16-R1200B with BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane

MB: Supermicro H11SSL-i rev 1

CPU: AMD EPYC 7351P

Memory: Supermicro 64GB SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2666

HBA: LSI Broadcom SAS 9300-8i

Questions 1: The Front Control Panel header JF1 appears to take a 20? pin connector with pins 3 & 4 absent (P.38 https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/EPYC7000/MNL-2085.pdf) but the case (https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/chassis/4U/SC846.pdf) only has a 16 pin connector cable. So I have no LEDS or control from the front panel. Am I SOL, is there different cable that I can't find, or another solution I'm unaware of?

Question 2: Despite the above issue, I can get into the IPMI to boot and power down the server, but I can't get the KVM to launch with SuperMicro's IPMIView 2.16.0. The error message I get is "Administrator privilege is required to launch KVM during first initialization or Connection Failed". I'm logged in as the Admin and plugged into the IPMI LAN port. Not sure what other info I need to give, but help?

Question 3: Unraid boots but it won't recognize any of the drives I've got loaded (x2 WD Red 10Tb, x4 WD elements schucked 10TB, x1 Kingston 120Gb SSD). The SSD is the only drive that displays the solid blue "SAS/SATA/NVME drive installed" on the drive bay, and does so in all 24 slots so I know there's power. My understanding with this backplane is you run all 24 drives through a single HBA, and I'm under 8-ports anyway.

Thank you in advance everyone!

2. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

3. Dorgin

Dorgin New Member

1. Thanks for the cable links, I ordered the CBL-0048. We'll give that a shot but I'm guessing it will work nicely!

2. Right clicking on the IPMIView from my Start menu did the trick. Now I just have to figure out what I'm doing in the KVM.

3. I have the BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane, so it only has the single SAS port expander. When I plug the SSD into any of the 24 drive bays, I get a solid blue front panel LED, indicating "SAS/SATA/NVME drive installed". I still can't see it in Unraid, perhaps I need to go digging in the BIOS and see if it's recognized there. Plugging any of the HDDs into any bay, and I've tried multiple combinations, has been unsuccessful. A friend told me I might be getting 3.3V errors, as described here: . I'll try this method and report back.

Thanks again for the prompt and awesome feedback!

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Glad that helped, the WD Red don't have that 3.3v issue at all, so if those aren't working then thats not the issue.
    Your backplane is powered by molex connectors so theres no 3.3v even powering it, thats not likely the issue.
    Speaking of Molex connectors are all of them plugged in on the back plane?

However you have the BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane which has 8087 connectors on it, your HBA is 8643, which cable did you get to convert that?
    Which port do you have your HBA plugged into on your backplane and which port on the HBA is plugged in? (it should only be J0 in the top right of the board) all others should not be connected and on the HBA it should be Port 0.

Edit: Does your hba have a boot rom on it (such as press ctrl+r when it pops up to see if its recognizing the drives?)

Additional note, sata drives don't always light up in supermicro boxes intended for SAS drives.
    I have a 3x5.25" to 5x 3.5" supermicro enclosure and it only lights up during drive activity (vs solid light + blinking for activity for SAS drives). The backplanes may work differently though.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 10:52 PM
    nikalai likes this.
  5. Markess

Markess Active Member

Maybe I’m mistaken, but are you sure that pins 3&4 are absent from the motherboard front panel connector, and its not really pins 17 & 18 that are absent? I have no experience with that exact chassis, but in the past I was always able to plug a Chassis 16 pin ribbon cable into pins 1-16 on a SM motherboard's FP header. In my experience, Super Micro leaves pins 17-18 missing on the front panel headers (shows as an "x" on he manual's diagram) to ensure there's room to plug in a 16 pin Chassis ribbon cable without bending any pins on the motherboard.

Pins 19-20 on your motherboard header are for Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI), and since there's no NMI function on that case's front panel, there's no corresponding header connection on the ribbon cable.

I suggest that you line up pin 1 on the cable (usually a red stripe for SM) with Pin 1 on the motherboard (heavier white outline/white box usually for SM) and it should work. Being an AMD board, I think you'll find that Pin 1 is closest to the rear of the chassis, and pins 19&20 are toward the front.

The ribbon cable will cover pins 1-16 with the housing extending over the hole where pins 17 & 18 would be. Pins 19-20 will be uncovered.

If you got your case used, and the ribbon cable is bent into place from years connected to a different motherboard it may "naturally fall into place" over your front panel header in the wrong orientation. I've had that before....pulling a SM motherboard with a Front Panel header oriented with pin 1 facing one end of the case (front or back) and replacing it with a motherboard where pin 1 is facing the other direction. If I didn't check, and re-bend the cable, it would have been backwards and nothing would have worked.

Edit: Sorry to everyone about the length. Stuck inside with nothing to do!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    Aestr likes this.