New home lab for testing a need help.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RCG

Feb 17, 2019
I am after a new set of 2 servers to test some Windows Server 2022 features.

Interested in
Discrete Device Assignment
Discreet Device Assignment with GPU
Nested resiliency for Storage Spaces Direct
iWarp
Storage Space Direct

I think I will need the following
2x 10Gbe switches with support for iWarp
2x 1RU servers that can have a gpu and network card added

I need help to find out what I am looking for?
As in what GPU would work?
Minimum CPU generation
What switches?
What SSDs have PLP?
What NVMEs are usuable?

RCG

Feb 17, 2019
From my ebaying the P4 appears to be the cheapest GPU that is officially supported as I was unable to find anything from AMD

Last edited:

Mikey0843

May 20, 2015
I do not have experience with dda in hyper-v but it looks like pcie-passthrough in ESXi. My experience with this in ESXi is that the only thing that matters is not letting your VM know it's a VM. PCIe-passthrough is based on its 'location' in the tree and will almost always forward it to the VM, but the problem is getting your drivers to work inside the VM. The Nvidia vgpu software is used for sharing the GPU with multiple VMs, it does require a license to use unless you buy grid k1/k2 cards.

But like I said I do not have experience with this in hyper-v. AMD is more 'open' for these use-cases and will work easier, nvidia wants you to buy expensive tesla cards and software :/. I recommend looking for others that have used AMD cards with DDA in hyper-v.