New E5-2630 Build for home

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

freebsdrules

Aug 16, 2017
I've got a few older HP Proliant G7 servers in my home network that do a number of different tasks and I recently decided to upgrade to a more modern server and try to consolidate and actually do some virtualization (and save some $$ on electricity while I'm at it).

Ended up getting the following and still building, adding.

1. Intel R1208WTTGSR chasis/motherboard.
2. 2x Intel E5-2630 V4 processors.
3. 4x 16GB DDR4 RAM (might have some more on the way).
4. 2x Crucial MX100 512GB SSDs (likely mirrored to hold VMs).
5. 6x 600GB 10K 2.5" SAS HDDs (not sure configuration yet but will be storage for VMs).
6. 2x 300GB 10K 2.5" SAS HDDs (not sure configuration yet but will be storage for VMs).
7. Mellanox Connect2 Dual Port 10GBE card.

Will add more pics as I get it built!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Depending on what you're doing with your VM's, you might run into sustained workload issues with the MX's. A better choice might be something like the PM's from Samsung, or the S3500's from Intel :)

The MX's will get you going with your project, but I would be looking for something better further up the line :)

freebsdrules

Aug 16, 2017
Depending on what you're doing with your VM's, you might run into sustained workload issues with the MX's. A better choice might be something like the PM's from Samsung, or the S3500's from Intel :)

The MX's will get you going with your project, but I would be looking for something better further up the line :)
Got it and that's the idea. It was either something on the cheaper end like this or mechanical disks and I figured these should definitely perform better. And, realistically, this server is already going to be way over spec'd for my home needs as is . Thanks for the feedback!