New Desktop Build i9 9900K or AMD 2700x?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
So my desktop is starting to show it's age.
I do video encoding as a side job time to time, and do gaming from time to time, so I am sort of stuck in the middle of single threaded performance and multi threaded madness.

I could easily side one way or the other.

Upfront I know the 2700x has the better price vs performance. It simply costs less, and if you take its performance numbers divided by its cost its a better value than the i9 9900K. This is even further enhanced by the fact that the motherboards for AMD are generally cheaper and the 2700X includes it's own cpu cooler.

So you would think that it should be an easy pick? But not so much...

I am still rocking a 2600K, and while in the past I used to make it a habit to build a new computer every few years, as a family man my priorities have changed. So I would not be surprised to see the next build need to survive another 5 years just like this one did (minor upgrades aside)

So given the upfront investment difference, down the road over 5 years it may make up for itself. Faster video encodes, maybe just a bit more CPU power for that next game, etc.

That alone throws a monkey wrench in the decision making process, but let me throw the whole monkey in there.

I know that AMD has the ROME processors on the 7nm process for Servers. This same tech is supposed to filter down to desktops and I assume just like how the server chips are going to be a drop in replacement for the current socket, desktop should be the same as well.

Intel has a bad habit of requiring a new motherboard and chipset to utilize a new CPU, and even if the next gen Intel is a drop in replacement for the 9900K it is only going to be 10nm fabrication. Intel CPU's tend to be better compared directly to AMD in the same technical range, but 7nm vs 10nm is a clear technical separation between the two that should easily give AMD the reach it needs to surpass Intel in power consumption and possibly performance.

Add the fact its going to be a drop in replacement, and probably priced cheaper than what ever competing Intel chip hits the market, and I really wonder if next year AMD steals the crown from Intel?

So what do you guys think?

Given a $2K budget for the whole build the $300 savings does not make a huge difference, but the path chosen will make a great impact on the over time aspects of the system.

Either way will be a nice upgrade, but I would enjoy seeing how everybody else weighs in on the decision.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
"Amd next year"? Well, it rather looks like they gona get zen2 out the dor this year, and since they sandbagged their actual best performance at the last event, I think CES?
It is looking rather good.

The hope is that they target mai as the release because of their anniversary.

So, i'd wait.

But if you have to get something now.
The obligatory, why not buy something used? - question.

For example a Asus crosshair 6 hero is at least here in the EU available for around 120€ and a R7 1700 (x) around 200€.

Of cause that'd be less powerful then the 2700x or the i9, but as a temp system to have something better then the i7, it'd be worth it.
And I doubt you'd loose much once you try to sell it again.
Though, that is a gamble and hard to say, it depends on how good zen2 prices are, but I doubt you'll loose much.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
The current board vendors were even teasing unlocking pcie4 on the top slot of current X470 boards with Zen 2.
x570 boards will cost more due to pcie4 signaling requirements for lower slots. Thicker pcb and repeaters.

I do expect AMD to have a massive multithreaded lead on AM4 vs 9900k and they should be close in single threaded as they are now.
The claimed 15% ipc boost is most likely best case scenario.

I would grab a 2600x and x470 and upgrade when zen2 arrives. (less depreciation 1 model down)
CES 2019 Question and Answer Session with AMD CEO, Dr. Lisa Su
Interview where Lisa Su confirms >8 cores Ryzen 3xxx.

Last edited:
Reactions: ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
The current board vendors were even teasing unlocking pcie4 on the top slot of current X470 boards with Zen 2.
x570 boards will cost more due to pcie4 signaling requirements for lower slots. Thicker pcb and repeaters.

I do expect AMD to have a massive multithreaded lead on AM4 vs 9900k and they should be close in single threaded as they are now.
The claimed 15% ipc boost is most likely best case scenario.

I would grab a 2600x and x470 and upgrade when zen2 arrives. (less depreciation 1 model down)
CES 2019 Question and Answer Session with AMD CEO, Dr. Lisa Su
Interview where Lisa Su confirms >8 cores Ryzen 3xxx.
I think this is a solid recommendation, the 2600x is $100 cheaper and still very comparable to the 2700x. Being that its an "x" model I can even overclock it. Then take that savings and pay it forward to zen2

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I think this is a solid recommendation, the 2600x is $100 cheaper and still very comparable to the 2700x. Being that its an "x" model I can even overclock it. Then take that savings and pay it forward to zen2
AMD does not segment their market like Intel.
Nearly all their CPUs are overclockable.
The "x" in this case indicates different things.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I also ended up on a 5yr build cadence with the advent of my trusty 2600K, but if I were planning a build now it'd be based on AMD, since the times I really need CPU power is for video encoding and that scales well across multiple cores, and Intel just isn't price competitive in that arena at present. If you can live with 8 cores the AMD chips are still far cheaper than the Intel equivalents and the real-world performance in most workloads boil down to every-frame-counts ultra-competitive gaming or workloads highly tuned to Intel chips (e.g. AVX512).

It's possible that the threadripper 3000 series might also tempt me to shorten my 5yr cadence as well.

The 2600X gets you almost all of the single-threaded clockspeed available to the 2700X for single-threaded workloads but I'd still be tempted to go for the 8-core 2700 so give extra available ooomph for video encoding as I don't think in practice you'd notice the few hundred MHz peak clock difference. In the UK at least it's only about £50 more than the 2600X. I'm not an overclocker myself (so I'm not really prepared to pay extra just for overclockability) and IMHO inbuilt boost/turbo/PBO vendor overclocking has pushed a lot of overclocking activities to the margins.

PCIe 4.0 is certainly nice on paper but I probably wouldn't plan a build around it and for my desktop machine I don't need the extra bandwidth. I'd be more inclined to save money on a higher-end B450 than paying extra for features on an X470 I'm not going to use.

(Disclaimer: I already run a 2400G on a B450 board and have been very impressed with it, so I'm likely highly biased towards AMD at present)