New amd64 home Server - Best programs/apps?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

anonymousaga

Jul 6, 2023
I just installed linux mint on an old amd64 laptop with an ssd. It is now my 2nd home server.

Before this, I already had a Raspberry Pi (armhf) home server. It runs home assistant, node-red, Pi-Hole DNS, and wireguard VPN.

What good things should I run on this new amd64 server? Im interested smart-home, open-source, local-services, and complicated projects. I am not interested in media or streaming.

Thanks!

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
There are a few threads on reddit / github with lists of apps you can host yourself.
Some media related of course, but also a bunch of nice-to-have apps for your home network.

I recommend scrolling through this github repo:

MultiUser

Jul 6, 2023
Sounds like you have a ways to go to get everything you would want up and running.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but I have a list of software I keep in a file for new builds.

This gives me a good place to start when I start up a new machine.

VLC
GParted
Qbittorrent
Aomei Partition and Cloning Tools
Balena Etcher
Rufus
Raspberry Pi Imager
NAS ISOs
NAS Configs Backup
7Zip

Put the following in a 7Zip Archive and Password Protect:(encrypt all this)
  • My Windows Keys Backup
  • Password Backup Files (exported from Browser)
  • Browser Bookmark Backups

anonymousaga

Jul 6, 2023
Sounds like you have a ways to go to get everything you would want up and running.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but I have a list of software I keep in a file for new builds.

This gives me a good place to start when I start up a new machine.

VLC
GParted
Qbittorrent
Aomei Partition and Cloning Tools
Balena Etcher
Rufus
Raspberry Pi Imager
NAS ISOs
NAS Configs Backup
7Zip

Put the following in a 7Zip Archive and Password Protect:(encrypt all this)
  • My Windows Keys Backup
  • Password Backup Files (exported from Browser)
  • Browser Bookmark Backups
Bit confused by what you mean here. Ive already got the linux running, I was looking for software to run. I think this would be more useful for someone trying to install linux. Thanks though.

anonymousaga

Jul 6, 2023
There are a few threads on reddit / github with lists of apps you can host yourself.
Some media related of course, but also a bunch of nice-to-have apps for your home network.

I recommend scrolling through this github repo:
After checking the list & some forums, I installed PhotoPrism for now. Ive moved all my vacation photos to PhotoPrism. PhotoPrism runs fine even on this old 2012 laptop. I am also going to try paperless-ngx.

MultiUser

Jul 6, 2023
After checking the list & some forums, I installed PhotoPrism for now. Ive moved all my vacation photos to PhotoPrism. PhotoPrism runs fine even on this old 2012 laptop. I am also going to try paperless-ngx.
Googling them now!
Thanks!

Okullus

Apr 8, 2024
As for programs, there are tons of options out there, but I'm leaning towards something that's user-friendly and keeps my media organized. Plex seems like a popular choice, but I'm curious if there are any hidden gems lurking around. Maybe a lesser-known app that's like the Netflix of your own home library? The "instant paying apps" concept is intriguing, but with the ever-changing tech landscape, it feels like a bit of a gamble. Who knows if those apps will still be paying top dollar a year or two down the road? Seems like a potential flash in the pan, but maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited: