NETAPP X477_HAKPE04TA07 / HUS726040AL5214 Firmware unlocking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

christhekid

Dec 6, 2023
Hello guys,
:)

i have got 6 pieces of the X477_HAKPE04TA07 (4TB SAS HDD HGST aka HUS726040AL5214).
i tried to plug itinto my HPE Proliant G8 but he didn't recognice the drives, so i started researching and find the possibility to reflash the drives with the "generic" firmware so far as well. So i downloaded hugo and the firmware APGNCD05 for the drive an tried my best,
but i got every the same error message.

has anyone an idea or know some one who can help me here?

many thanks
:D

Attachments

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
As coming from a NetApp filer you need to reformat those drives from their current 520 Byte sector size to either 512 Byte or 4k.
Then you can use them even wit NetApp firmware, no need to flash to generic one.

christhekid

Dec 6, 2023
thanks for you answer, you right that works (i had done it today with 1 disk sucessfull), but i have another little problem, i started yeasterday the formating of 4 disks and i had an nice meet and greet with the default "timeout" of sg3_utils during sg_format. Now the the 4 disk are not detected anymore. Controller is an HP P420 it is already in HBA mode. i had no idea how i can access them to restart the formating again.
the disks are spinning up, i also tried just for interesting to change the controler board from an working disk to the non working one. then it detects the disk again but it didtn accept any formating commands. controller must be also good tried a cross test with that one of the non working to the working disks and it is also recognized.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
The disk's controller basically does the formatting in the background once you send it the command to start (even if you quit or kill sg_format), and the drive will be largely unresponsive until it's done. You may need to just wait a while for the format to complete - I think it will do that so long as it has power (it may restart from the beginning, though, if you power cycle it in any way). There's an sg3 command to check the status, I think, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

christhekid

Dec 6, 2023
it dont looks like that they started the formting again by their self, when the disks spinning up, you hear that they are something working for 1-2 Minutes and then no more.

after the sg3 stopped the first time i dont regocnized that was incase of the timeout, i thougt something was wrong with the p420 controller, so i shutdown the server and inserted the 2 other drives. as i saw that the are detected, i was sure that the controller is working. i putted the other 4 discs back and then i had the problem, so i started the resarch what there is going on. then i found some thread concerning the timeout problem.

i dont know if that realy works that the LSI Controller find that drives, but i have ordered one for testing. But i dont give up to find an other solution for that, incase that would not working.

ps. i tried in sg3 many commands but, i didn't get it to find the disks or any information of them

if some has an idea concerning some tools that i can try please let me know.