Needs some advice on MegaRaid 9271-8i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

majoho

Oct 9, 2015
I've had this card for a while since I was fed up with the throughput of NAS boxes I've had and I'm very happy with it.

Until now I've had it in a normal tower computer with 8x3TB drives but I just ordered a secondhand Supermicro SC-933 case so I want to get some more drives but frankly I have no idea how to!

The card has 2 internal connectors and 2x4 splitters for 8 drives in total but it's supposed to be able to use more, but how?

Do I need some add on card or something because I can't seem to find any accessories for the card aside from battery and cache.

Thanks for any help.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Your card has 2xSFF8087 connectors, which you are using fanout cables for, to convert them directly to SATA.

Are you using hardware based RAID?

Which SC933 chassis did you obtain? T (15 sata ports required), or E1/E2 (SAS expander included).
Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 3U

Odds are you need an expander, but that's kind of a waste if you only need 15 ports total.

Reactions: majoho

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
If you need more than 4 ports per connector on a SAS card, you use an expander like xnoodle said. It can either be built into the chassis or you can buy a card. The Intel expander card is popular, it is a 24 channel card, usually used as 4 lanes in and 20 lanes out. On the other hand, depending on the chassis and backplane, it may be built in and you just need to connect one cable over.

majoho

Oct 9, 2015
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I'm using hardware raid (RAID-6) and the one I found was the T-version so I guess I would need an expander - I should probably have researched before I ordered :/

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
There is a RES2SV240 card on eBay for $129 with a BO option. I think the cheapest people got them for was $90 new with cables but that was a few months ago. I have used that successfully with the 9271-8i.

majoho

Oct 9, 2015
Yeah found that already ;)

Going to get one but I'll wait until I have set up the new server, wont get the case until next week.

Thanks again.