Needing more 10gb ports on 6610–DAC or MTP approach?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

safado

Aug 21, 2020
I screwed that up and posted early. Here’s the context:

I have a Brocade 6610 that I’m getting full on the 8x SFP+ ports so I’m thinking of utilizing the QSFP ports on the back for a 4x 10gb breakout.
I’ve noticed there are DAC cables like below that seem to have transceivers already attached and are the cheap option. All my equipment is in the same rack but I’m using various NICs like the ConnectX-3 and variants of the X520 currently with SFP’s and MM fiber.

As QSFP is “new” to me what I don’t understand is it better to use a DAC cable or buy a QSFP for the brocade and then a MTP to 4 LC cable with the different SFP’s like the other link below?

Seems like the DAC cable is the cheap and quick way to go but I worry about compatibility between the various cards.

What’s the best practice here and recommended approach?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Thank you!! You responded so fast I’m afraid you didn’t see my initial edit and additional info about DAC vs MTP. Will I run into any compatibility issues with DAC across different NICs? Thanks!

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
DAC, MTP breakout (plus optics), AOC, all are equivalent and will get the job done. DAC are cheapest and lowest power/heat, but length limited to about 10m (hard to find anything over 3m on ebay). Perfect for within the rack. The cabling is thicker and heavier than fiber, obviously; also, thicker DACs aren't necessarily better or sturdier.

Regarding SFP compatibility, Brocade and Mellanox will be fine; Intel does check but ixgbe.ko option allow_any_sfp is sufficient on Linux; an OS-agnostic fix requires modding the EEPROM: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-eeprom-to-unlock-all-sfp-transceivers.24634/

Reactions: safado

safado

Aug 21, 2020
DAC, MTP breakout (plus optics), AOC, all are equivalent and will get the job done. DAC are cheapest and lowest power/heat, but length limited to about 10m (hard to find anything over 3m on ebay). Perfect for within the rack. The cabling is thicker and heavier than fiber, obviously; also, thicker DACs aren't necessarily better or sturdier.

Regarding SFP compatibility, Brocade and Mellanox will be fine; Intel does check but ixgbe.ko option allow_any_sfp is sufficient on Linux; an OS-agnostic fix requires modding the EEPROM: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-eeprom-to-unlock-all-sfp-transceivers.24634/
Thank you!! This is extremely helpful. Really appreciate you taking the time to help and offer advice. Thanks!