Need Windows 10 help from the gurus

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just had something very strange happen. My workstation reverted to a previous install point. I was installing some new hardware walked away and I think it did the automatic revert feature. The image looks to be a Feb 2016 install of Windows or just after that.

I keep all of my files on NAS storage so data loss is nothing aside from a few ISO images I keep locally (e.g. Ubuntu 16.04) but it would be nice if I did not have to re-do all of my settings/ applications.

Any thoughts/ ideas would be appreciated as I must be searching for the wrong terms via Google.

William

May 7, 2015
WOW that's very strange, not sure what to tell you on this one, never had that happen to me.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Oh :-O

Can't help with your problem but bit of a concern with those hosting VM's for home use on win10

I did not think of that possible issues with updates and restore points using C: drive (or whatever it's installed on)
Does it also use restore points for other local internal drives ?

William

May 7, 2015
The only thing I can think of is something happened with the new hardware install and it crashed and went to a restore point.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The only thing I can think of is something happened with the new hardware install and it crashed and went to a restore point.
It was at least user error if anything. I think it started recovery because it did not fully boot twice (once I did). When I walked away just after to grab a water, and take a picture of some new drives, I came back and it had automatically booted to a restore point. Oddly enough, it showed a May 1 restore point but did not let me move forward to that restore point.

Oh well, good time to re-image Win 10 from scratch. Already started the process.

Most stuff is sitting on the FreeNAS box + Google/ Microsoft so it is very easy to get to. Re-install Win 10. Re-connect network drives. I think the main WAN stuff to grab is just Office (download from O365 subscription) and Adobe Creative Cloud items.

The 1TB SSDs are in RAID 1 but that does not do much for Windows deciding to implode itself. I could have restored from back-up but it is probably a good opportunity to clean everything out anyway.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Prolly M$ or the NSA reverting your security settings so they have access again ;)

On a more serious note, I got caught out with just this thing a couple of times early on with win7. I never really got to the bottom of what caused it and it wouldn't let me manually move forward to a later restore point either. I now disable the feature (turn off system protection) whenever I perform an install and just manually run system image whenever I make any significant changes that I want to keep :)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Patrick , may be too late at this time.
Google "boot to vhd " , visualize your Windows OS in a vhd file, backing up your entire working Windows OS as easy as
copying "Win10.vhd" from source to detestation drive.

Paid the upfront time cost , (as much as you could and practical ) customize your Windows OS with Powershell script and / or DSC.
Check-in the configuration scripts in to source control. Deploy apps with Windows package management.
From this point forward, you could rebuild your desktop without too much manual configuration.

Reactions: Chuntzu

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Imaging with macrium home is free and can be scheduled I recommend it on desktops where it's easy to add an additional drive to copy the images to(acually i prefer it over raid1 for desktop use although it's not a bad addition) I've yet to see behavior like this out of windows 10 myself and i'm using it personally on two desktops and my primary laptop(in addition to a few other laptops in the building) Restore points aren't supposed to affect data(you shouldn't have lost your iso's) so I'm very curious.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Didn't the windows event log provide any clues? Or something like last activity viewer?

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Sorry, I haven never met your problem, as I still use Windows 7. :)
I have been notified many times by my computer to upgrade to Windows 10, But I am not sure about it.