Need recomendations on Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Arrogant

Jan 11, 2014
SO I need a switch because I have too many devices for my netgear router. I am looking for something that will have 10 ports at a bare minimum and is 1gbit at least. Now, I could go out and buy generic xyz switch at microcenter, but I want to make sure that I do not buy some crappy switch which creates a bottleneck in my network. Is this the case with switches? I would like to spend under 100 if possible, but if not definitely under 200. Is this workable? Do I need some fancy corporate switch? POE might be nice as well because I could see myself getting a ubuiquiti WAP in the future.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16833181152&cm_sp=

What about that? super cheap, should I buy that?

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Sorry I'm going to stereotype a bit here. If you are a reader and active at STH AT ALL you are probably going to end up needing more Ethernet ports not less in the coming 12 months. (Sorry but let's face it.)

If you want unmanaged just get something like this: Amazon.com : TRENDnet 24-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TEG-S24Dg : Network Switches : Electronics

Same $90 but 24 ports. If you want the slightly fancier model you can get one in a rackmount size for a few dollars more: Amazon.com : TRENDnet 24-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TEG-S24Dg : Network Switches : Electronics

Now you may want managed in which case you are going to spend around $200.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
The common entry level managed switches that are fanless are the HP 1810s, 1910s, Cisco SG200 and SG300. They are all really entry level but do provide the basic features you would expect from a managed switch, while not using a lot of power or noise.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The V1910-24G is what the STH colo (currently) uses. They are over budget but you can potentially get them for under $200 with best offer.

HP ProCurve JE006A V1910 24g 24PORT GbE 4 Mini GBIC SFP Switch SEALED New Open 0885631199770 | eBay

I do think the V1910-24G ones are a bit too loud for home use though if you want completely silent. Now compared to a LB4M they are relatively quiet :) I have been extremely happy with the HP switches though even having been a big Dell PowerConnect user for years.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
As I see it, the OP has an extremely low level of networking experience/knowledge and managed switches are not required or advised. PoE is nice if you know what you are doing but as the OP has mentioned Ubiquiti, I would suggest that the OP uses the supplied PoE injector for the unit he purchases as Ubiquiti's have a mixture of 12V, 24V and 48V devices.

OP, go buy a 16-port TP-Link GbE switch (32GbE bus back-end) and enjoy low-cost networking that will work well.