Need platform for older folks, for backup, simplest possible

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
What do forum members recommend for older folks (in my case, my folks, in their 80's), that is redundant, reasonably safe, (and fire-safe! given 100% on-time), extremely simple to access/configure, etc etc? Talking about a NAS or something that needs to hold at most 4 TB, but with a lot of redundancy.

Going to drag over my dns-323 at any rate, see iff that helps. But wow talk about slow and non-intuitive!

Added note: they've retired to Australia, which has horrendous prices for NAS units or basically any computer hardware! But a greater concern is the fire hazard. Older peps (mine anyway!) will struggle to get out of the house if there IS a fire or something. So super-low voltage, extremely safe, but always-on...guess is the idea here, i.e. not a homebuilt NAS running command-line with a giant power supply or something.

2nd; note Australia still has mostly shit internet, and my folks like most others can only hope for 1 Mbps up..so online backup is not an option! On cable, but it is what it is over there..why I emigrated! They have a bomb-proof/fire-proof safe, but not really a super practical option (copy over once a week, put in safe!).

3rd note: needs to pretty much go automatically or be child-proof (pretty sure I installed Acronis last time there), old man has Parkinson's so complicated stuff isn't gonna happen. Not a pity party, it's what happens when you get old..be lucky if I make it that far! But yeah considerations there...

Wow, Australia..great climate, great surf, but still around 53rd or something globally on internet...and that's just download speeds.

Suggestions welcome!

Last edited:

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Yepp they have an external hdd already, with acronis (I think!)..but one or 2 hdd's doesn't really qualify as backup in my book. Needs to be equivalent of raid 6 or more at least. Having multiple single hdd's for backups, well my feeling backup is just not going to get done..needs to be automated with built-in redundancy. See that with clients all the time. Would be a bit easier if australia didn't have such sh!t internet..(could back up to the cloud, to 2! separate services even!), but not gonna happen being a 3rd world country. Sorry get cranky every time Aus and internet are in same sentence!

Edit old man has basically one backup of working files already via usb..looking to make it a bit more disaster-proof given lack of internets. Maybe old dns-323 in some raid 1 will do the trick...bit would like to see a but more redundancy..thanks for suggestions!

Is the problem that 'sic' backups, are not going to be offsite either...(which of course comes back to aus having crap internet..need to courier large files on hdd over there! Seriously!)..so the best I can do to help the folks is start some kind of schedule where total backups are put in safe once a week or something...which prbly isn't going to happen. Other alternative, in a safety deposit box in the bank, which also is not going to happen....sigh. Stupid bogans....and their lack of internets...

As an aside, my personal cloud backup is nearing..cough cough..36 TB..but then I live in Norway with normal unlimited internet, if pretty shit.. (150 down/20 up on cable)...if like most civilized peps I had fiber on 1 gbps up and down...wouldn't even be posting. Non-issue! And aus still has data quotas unbelievably, for home broadband, so online backup is doubly ****ed. Actually they can't even watch 4k vids etc or youtube without stressing out!

Ok Ok it sucks over there, made my point! Yes am aware canucks are also among the hold-outs regarding internet quotas...bit hopeless in either place backing up...what do you do...dig an extra hdd in a snow-hole?

Seriously; How Australia Bungled Its $36 Billion High-Speed Internet Rollout

So alternative Canuck methods much appreciated (can't believe it''s that bad over there tho!). Data quotas? what are those? ;)

Edit; for photos, videos, etc and financial documents, for me backup means 3 copies, and at least one off-site.

Thanks for reply Nancy! hope your internets are a bit better over there in Canuck-land than aus! (Such great skiing! but such bad internets!)

Last edited: