Need help with VMWare licensing

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by Ron Kelley, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Ron Kelley

Ron Kelley New Member

Greetings all,

I am a little overwhelmed by the VMWare licensing options and need some help figuring out which licenses (and how many) I need for my upcoming dev environment. We will be running 8x compute servers - each with 2x 10-Core E5-2697v2 CPUs, 256G RAM, and USB boot. We need vCenter Appliance to support VM snapshots, VM vMotion, and Storage vMotion. We have local NFS storage available so no need for VSAN or anything fancy.

Once I figure out my license requirements, I need to find a good reseller in the US. Hopefully, they can offer a discount :)

Thanks.

2. BoredSysadmin

BoredSysadmin Active Member

You will need to license each socket, so in your case, 16 licenses. You'll also need to add a single vcenter license.
    Only thing left to figure out what vsphere edition will you want.

3. dwright1542

dwright1542 Active Member

How many VM's? We've found that the ROBO license works well for low count VM clusters.