Need help with RAID enclosure....

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by El Chorizo, Jan 6, 2019.

1. El Chorizo

El Chorizo New Member

Picked up one of these as a cheap external RAID enclosure but the Highpoint Card that comes with it has very little support and doesn't seem to work with the newest Proxmox...

HighPoint Global Website

I've tried different versions of the driver and the source fails to compile. I wouldn't mind buying a better RAID card that has better support but I'm not sure which one to go with. I put 8TB drives inside the enclosure.... which card should I get, I guess it needs to support a SFF-8088 port to connect to the 4 drives and of course I'd like a currently supported card so that it can support newer, larger drives....

Any ideas?

Also, here's the DKMS compile errors for the newest version of the driver (1.4 despite the driver saying 1.1x, I used a modified dkms.conf from another working example)... here's the actual file I'm getting the source from: RR64xl_Linux_Src_v1.4.0_16_09_20.tar.gz

Code:
    DKMS make.log for rr64xl-1.1x for kernel 4.15.18-9-pve (x86_64)
    Sun Jan  6 19:22:22 CST 2019
    make: Entering directory '/var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux'
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.18-9-pve'
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/os_linux.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/div64.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/hptinfo.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/config.o
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/os_linux.c: In function ‘refresh_sd_flags’:
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/os_linux.c:367:41: error: ‘struct gendisk’ has no member named ‘driverfs_dev’
           if (bdev->bd_disk && bdev->bd_disk->driverfs_dev==&SDptr->sdev_gendev) {
                                             ^~
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/os_linux.c: In function ‘os_request_timer’:
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/os_linux.c:649:27: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
      vbus_ext->timer.function = os_timer_for_ldm;
                               ^
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/os_linux.c:650:17: error: ‘struct timer_list’ has no member named ‘data’
      vbus_ext->timer.data = (unsigned long)vbus_ext;
                     ^
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    scripts/Makefile.build:324: recipe for target '/var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/os_linux.o' failed
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/os_linux.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.c: In function ‘hpt_flush_vdev’:
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.c:1867:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘init_timer’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
       init_timer(&timer);
       ^~~~~~~~~~
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.c:1869:8: error: ‘struct timer_list’ has no member named ‘data’
       timer.data = (HPT_UPTR)&sem;
            ^
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.c:1870:18: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
       timer.function = cmd_timeout_sem;
                      ^
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.c: In function ‘__hpt_do_ioctl’:
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.c:2163:8: error: ‘struct timer_list’ has no member named ‘data’
       timer.data = (HPT_UPTR)&sem;
            ^
    /var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.c:2164:18: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
       timer.function = hpt_ioctl_timeout;
                      ^
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    scripts/Makefile.build:324: recipe for target '/var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.o' failed
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build/osm_linux.o] Error 1
    Makefile:1551: recipe for target '_module_/var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build' failed
    make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux/.build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.18-9-pve'
    ../../../inc/linux_32mpa/Makefile.def:110: recipe for target 'rr640l.ko' failed
    make: *** [rr640l.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory '/var/lib/dkms/rr64xl/1.1x/build/product/rr64xl/linux'

2. azev

azev Active Member

I imagine any of the top brand raid card such as LSI or Adaptec would work.

3. gregsachs

gregsachs Member

Only concern I would have is if the enclosure has anything "active" in it, or is just a passive connection essentially the same as a SFF-8087->SATA cable. I know sas HBA will not support sata port multiplier typically.