Need help with picking E5 CPU/GPU for Windows 2012

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BrianBulaw

Aug 19, 2012
I'm building up a new on-site server for a doctor's office with about 10 users. We're going to use Windows Server 2012, Remote Desktop Services, and N-Computing thin clients to help comply with HIPPA security requirements.

I'm planning on using a Gigabyte GA-6PXSV3 motherboard with an E5-1650 CPU. The motherboard has iKVM capability. If I don't ever need to access the machine directly, do I still need to install a video card? Would I need a video card if I switched to one of the -05 CPU's that have on-board video?

Does the Windows 2012 vGPU take advantage of the -05 CPU hardware?

If I want to provide hardware video acceleration for RDS, do you have any recommendations for a DirectX11 GPU? They will be recording and playing back video clips at the work stations.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
OK so first off, one important note, the Xeon E5 series CPUs do not have -5 parts. Only the Intel Xeon E3-1200 (and V2) series CPUs have integrated GPUs. The integrated ASPEED 2300's GPU is not so great, as in it is fine for a console but crawls at desktops.

Here is the best guide I have seen thus far on RemoteFX hardware: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817602(WS.10).aspx It also talks about how iKVM works with Windows with another RemoteFX GPU installed.

I will likely do a post once I build the Windows Server 2012 box. The E5-1650 will be plenty CPU wise.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I have used Server 2k8R2 RemoteFX with a HD5970 and a HD6950 without problem. Just installed the Win7 drivers.