need help setting up my server by adding a cache drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
im building a storage server using windows 10 pro as the os. the purpose of the server is to back up my important data, so that if my steam games and other important data on my ryzen gaming pc is gone i will have it backed up. is there any way to create a cache drive using a 2.5 inch sata ssd on the server so that when im backing up data to the hard dives on my server the write and read speeds are sped up?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
im building a storage server using windows 10 pro as the os. the purpose of the server is to back up my important data, so that if my steam games and other important data on my ryzen gaming pc is gone i will have it backed up. is there any way to create a cache drive using a 2.5 inch sata ssd on the server so that when im backing up data to the hard dives on my server the write and read speeds are sped up?
So there's a function to accomplish a data tiering storage, on windows but its locked away in server edition.
(how it looks on server)

You can still potentially accomplish it by powershell

Bash:
# List all disks that can be pooled and output in table format (format-table)
Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $True | Format-Table -Property FriendlyName, OperationalStatus, Size, MediaType

# Store all physical disks that can be pooled into a variable, $pd
$pd = (Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $True | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.MediaType -NE 'UnSpecified'})
# Create a new Storage Pool using the disks in variable $pd with a name of My Storage Pool
New-StoragePool -PhysicalDisks $pd –StorageSubSystemFriendlyName "Storage Spaces*" -FriendlyName "My Storage Pool"
#View the disks in the Storage Pool just created
Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName "My Storage Pool" | Get-PhysicalDisk | Select-Object -Property FriendlyName, MediaType

# Create two tiers in the Storage Pool created. One for SSD disks and one for HDD disks
$ssd_Tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "My Storage Pool" -FriendlyName SSD_Tier -MediaType SSD
$hdd_Tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "My Storage Pool" -FriendlyName HDD_Tier -MediaType HDD

# New-VirtualDisk –SNtoragePoolFriendlyName "My Storage Pool" –ResiliencySettingName Simple –Size 10TB –Provisioningtype Thin –FriendlyName "Documents"
# Create a new virtual disk in the pool with a name of TieredSpace using the SSD (50GB) and HDD (300GB) tiers
$vd1 = New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "My Storage Pool" -FriendlyName TieredSpace -StorageTiers @($ssd_tier, $hdd_tier) -StorageTierSizes @(50GB, 300GB) -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -WriteCacheSize 1GB # cannot also specify -size if using tiers and also cannot use provisioning type, e.g. Thin

there's outline with different script to set it up too (potentially more explanation in depth what is what)