Need Help - N40L keeps crashing

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by Leo Levosky, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Leo Levosky

Leo Levosky New Member

Hi,

Not sure what section I should be posting this in?

I have an HP N40L which has been running WHS 2011 fine for a long time. Now it keeps powering itself off (orange light rather than green) and I don't know what this means. Does it mean WHS is crashing or does it mean a hardware failure? It is doing it almost daily now and I don't know how to work out what is happening.

If the hardware is okay what operating system would you suggest putting on it now? It is just acting as a file server and running LMS server for my Squeezeboxes.

Thanks,

Leo

2. Stephan

Stephan IT Professional

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  3. Leo Levosky

Leo Levosky New Member

It is the power button that is amber. No light at all on the HP logo.

4. Stephan

Stephan IT Professional

Server is in standby then? Connect a USB keyboard and press Ctrl, Space or Return. Or try a mouse, click left. Does server come back up?

5. Leo Levosky

Leo Levosky New Member

The server comes back when I press the power button but it goes back to standby sometime later. That time can be an hour, a day or a couple of days. What I don't understand is whether this means a hardware issue or just WHS crashing.

6. WANg

WANg Active Member

Does event viewer in WHS2011 show anything like a BSOD? If not, I am going to guess that it's the PSU (power supply) falling off a cliff. To test that, just run any Linux LiveCD, put a heavy system load through it for, say, 10-15 minutes. If it still does that, it's the PSU.

7. gregsachs

gregsachs Member

Is it possible the power settings are messed up and it sleeps when idle?

8. WANg

WANg Active Member

Could be, but you did say that the machine only comes out of sleep using a push off the power button (and nothing else)...right? Or does a click off a USB mouse or a tap off the keyboard work as well?