Need advice to converting Netshelter 38U to 2 X wall mount racks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
My current rack gear is in a Netshelter 38 U , on the 2nd level of the house. Wife has not stopped complaining about the space it takes on the floor landing , and also the noise generated by the fans.
I wish to move the gear out into 2 X wall mounted open frame racks (12 or 15U), push the hot air out via an exhaust fan and outlet from the ceiling out to the outside of the house. I figure I can get away with 22-24U.
I have some deep Supermicro chassis (SM836), that needs a depth of 800mm(i think). Are there wall mounted racks that can accomodate such depths?

Any advice appreciated.

cheers

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have some deep Supermicro chassis (SM836), that needs a depth of 800mm(i think). Are there wall mounted racks that can accomodate such depths?
It's the first time that I see somebody calling the 836 a "deep"/long chassis :D Back then when the cebit ewxisted there were some vendors with some huge db servers with 4 or more cpus or top loader jbods that were like 140cm or even more "deep".
I've seen some "big" wall mounted racks with like 20u but they were all pretty short (I think mellanox 6036 couldn't be mounted in such a rack...) and I don't think they are capable of holding the weight of >2u servers...

Reactions: epicurean

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Walls here where I live are made of concrete. So as long as the rack chassis can be bolted to the wall and take its specified weight , I think it should be ok.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
My current rack gear is in a Netshelter 38 U , on the 2nd level of the house. Wife has not stopped complaining about the space it takes on the floor landing , and also the noise generated by the fans.
I wish to move the gear out into 2 X wall mounted open frame racks (12 or 15U), push the hot air out via an exhaust fan and outlet from the ceiling out to the outside of the house. I figure I can get away with 22-24U.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers
Anyone?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Concrete certainly can take a lot of weight, but what you're looking to do is uncommon to say the least. Normally it's just half-depth network equipment on a wall.

Given your location (not mentioned in this post, but I know), won't there be seismic concerns? A couple hundred kilograms attached to your wall during an earthquake seems like a bad time.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I have 2 4U racks that are long, along with 2 X APC 2U UPS. Everything else is much lighter and shorter. Do vertical mount wall racks work for these 4 units?

Thankfully earthquakes are not a concern here in SG

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
I think it depends on the max. weight limit of the rack. Eaton for example says their wall mounted rack can take between 113 and 250 lbs. I dont know how much your equipment weights in total. An APC 2U UPS is about 63 lbs (the example i found).