Need Advice on AIO Server Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
I am looking to build a server for my home, currently I have a custom built desktop that is a couple years old with an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, currently running Windows Server 2012 R2 with only 8GB of RAM. My needs have grown since I built this box a couple years ago and would like to build something that will allow me to go several years without needing to build a new machine.

Server will run the following as VMs:
ZFS NAS
pfSense with Snort & Squid
Windows Server 2012 R2
Ubuntu
Windows 8.1

Server will be used to transcode up to 4 HD streams at a time for PLEX, NAS for all machines in the house, Domain Controller, development for Android apps, firewall, VPN from remote devices (4 mobile devices and no more than 2 laptops connected at once) and DHCP.

I will need to house 8x 3.5" hard drives currently and would like some room to expand. Will not be in a rack but I am okay with a rackmount chassis if that is what will work best.

I am completely open at this point, Avoton, E3-12xx v3, E5, DL180 G6 or something else if it works better in the long run. Would like to keep my build costs below $1200 not including any drives. The box will also be powered on 24x7 so energy use is a concern but it is fairly inexpensive here compared to other parts of the country.

I have a line on a C6100 XS23-TY3 with 8x L5520s locally for considerably less than what they go for on ebay, I know a C6100 is overkill at this point but it would come in considerably under my budget and I don't have to run all 4 nodes all the time.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Norco Chassis
source a 2P workstation board for now, fill with single Engine for now (or add two and be done with it), add RAM.

I would normally suggest not putting a desktop/WS environment in same place as rest of systems, keeping them separate has advantages in more ways than one.

Don't forget, good quality PSU with 5+ years warranty and high current single rail. Sizing depends on Vid Cards and drive count.

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
Well it doesn't matter now, I pulled the trigger on a C6100 XS23-TY3 3.5" chassis with 8x L5520s, 24GB of RAM per node and 4 drive sleds. Found it on Craigslist and emailed the guy for 10 days before he finally responded, he had the email going to an email address he never checks. He was asking $500 and all I did was ask what he had to have for it and he threw out $400, so that is what I paid. Feel a little guilty, but I am extremely happy with it. It is complete overkill for my needs but I couldn't say no to it.