Need a switch recomendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
My trusty Dell 2724 bought the farm last night and I'm now typing this by way of a 100' patch cable running down to my router. Does anyone have a recommendation on a replacement? I don't need anything fancy at all. My criteria are cheap, reliable, gigabit, not too noisy and 24 ports. Should I just get another 2724?

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
Plenty of fanless 24 port gigabit switches available, e.g. by HP or Cisco (SMB line). What's your budget?

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
I think that $100 is the top of my budget. I mean, I really don't use fancy network features. Is it possible that my 2724 isn't hosed? All of the lights are still blink'n. I had it in managed mode but never used that stuff so I set it to unmanaged and still no dice. I power cycled it a few times, nada.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You are US based I assume. Got an old 2824 that I could have offered cheaply but am in EU

And does it have a console port? Then you should attach a serial cable and boot with it connected via hypertem to check if its dead or not. Plenty of guides for this

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Too bad.
There should be lots of cheap used enterprise switches you can get in that price range, depends on what noisy is for you. But if you were of with the Dell then either get another one or a successor. I was happy with the 28xx range until I wanted 10G;)

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Have you logged into the web interface on the switch to check for errors? Have you updated the firmware?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
If you haven't tried this already, power off and power on the switch then toggle between unmanaged and managed modes. That should reset default settings. In managed mode the switch should be at 192.168.2.1 be sure you have no other devices at that IP. If you can't log into the web ui then the switch is probably toast.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Yeah I was thinking about that unmanaged TP-Link one for $70. I've had this managed Dell for something like 7 years now and never used it to full potential so unmanaged is probably fine for me. I'm not going to be going 10 Gbe and time soon and by then I'll probably just completely overhaul my network.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
You ok with ebay?

hp 1800-24 .. I see several at 50 bucks.
hp 1810-24 .. I see several just over 100. I bought my last one for 80.

They never break. And if they do, they have a lifetime warranty.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Those HP switches look nice for the money! That said I ordered the TP-Link mentioned above. It will be here by Wednesday and things suck here with no network. I don't want to wait a week or more to get my network back up and running. My home automation depends on the network so nothing is working now. It sucks having to turn off the lights, control the thermostats, lock the doors, wake and sleep the computers. We all overslept today because the home automation system wasn't there to get us up. Also all of my media is on the file server which is inaccessible. Lame.