Need a 16 port Gigabit Switch with POE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Abula

Oct 10, 2011
Hi,

I'm about to move to a new home, planning on doing a new network from scratch, it will have 6 PCs (desktop, downloading pc, server, HTPC, and 2x laptops), and to have a small Synology Diskstation mainly for managing and recording 8x POE 3mega pixel cameras, the routers and cable model is supplied by ISP, but its a 10/100 router, works pretty good, but its slow and only 4 connections.

So im trying to search for the perfect switch to go with the supplied router, i need at least 8 POE ports (the cameras consume a 5 to 15W), i also need at 4 ports for the PC (laptops will be on wifi), and another port to connect the router and another for the wifi access point, so thats 6 more, maybe ill add another access point depending on how things goes with the coverage but at least i need 14 ports, so a 16 port with 8 POE would be an ideal switch for me, wouldn't mind to go with twin 8 ports, but my router is 10/100 and will be doing the DHCP, so i want to avoid transferring data through it to avoid the bottleneck of the 10/100 network.

There is no set budget, would prefer if its below $500, but willing to go higher if it will be more reliable,faster, cooler running, easier to maintain, etc. Some switches that im staring to consider are the following,

TRENDnet 16-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE+ Switch (TPE-1620WS)
Intellinet 16-Port PoE Web-Managed Gigabit Ethernet Switch (560535)
BV-Tech 16 Port 250W Gigabit (1000Mbps) Power over Ethernet (PoE) Network Switch
Buffalo 16-Port Rackmount Gigabit 802.3at PoE Web Managed Switch (BSL-PS-G2116M)

Please let me know what you think would be the best route, or if you have any suggestions, or another switch that i should consider, really looking for some guidance, never really have gone into this expensive switches, been more of 5/8 port consumer based switches that i been happy till now.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I find that sometimes you have to send original receipt for warranty, even with lifetime warranty items so I'm not sure if buying through eBay would cause problems on the HP one, though it's a nice switch. Another option to consider are the Netgear switches, I've used the 10/100 version on some projects with success. I've also had Netgear replace switches under warranty so I know that it's possible and they are fairly good about it.

Amazon.com: Netgear ProSAFE 24-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with PoE and 4 SFP Ports (GS728TP-100NAS): Computers & Accessories

A bit more but I think these have a lifetime warranty: HP ProCurve JE007A V1910 24g Poe Switch 2928 HPWR Plus 3CRBSG28HPWR93 885631199978 | eBay

I'd say way overkill but another option (I would best offer that one too to close price gap)