Nas4Free USB Dedicated?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bunker

Mar 10, 2013
Anyone think there would be use/market for Nas4free/freenas box with 1Ghz/1GB 8 usb 2.0, static ip and 1.5Mpbs-10Mbps. for $20-30/mo? Bring/swap your own usb storage via post. Even offer owncloud on the box.

Bunker

Mar 10, 2013
BYOD colo does that exist?
I was kinda thinking about usb sticks seeing as 32Gb and 64Gb are common now. I guess byod with a lite low power dedicated nas4free box (Like a Raspberry Pi or atom). So mail in a large amount of data, to access/stream how you like. Say you could mail a 256Gb Usb SSD/HDD with your 200Gb music collection, then stream it to yourself at home, phone or at work. Or iscsi a usb stick. PXE to a TFTP usb stick with your favorite image(s). Practical or crazy?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I dont follow, do you mean like a cloud solution? Or more like a BYOD Colo?
Amazon offers a similar service where you can send a bare drive in and they quickly load the data onto a S3 service. In this case I think this is more of like a cross between that and a VPS.

It is an interesting concept. Haven't seen it done before. What were you thinking to use for the 1GHz/ 1GB VM or a pi?

Here's what would be more interesting - USB backup that you could next day air to a site. Downloading 4TB of data would likely take longer.

Bunker

Mar 10, 2013
Great Idea.
Also does a service or software exist with the ability to perform an incremental encrypted imaged windows back up over wan? Because then you could next day air an exact replacement to someone or better yet a fresh ssd... get your restored system and upgrade on the same day. I had thought of using those T5730's after I had my fun with experimentation they have 8 usb, and freenas/Emdebian would fit perfectly on a 1GB DOM. So basically a dirt cheap dedicated usb server.