NAS4Free Slow SMB/CIFS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
I recently set up a NAS4free 9.2 system (used this release for ConnectX-2 support) with 6 7200RPM drives in RAIDZ2, 8GB RAM and an i3-4160. I'm seeing very low SMB speeds and I can't figure out why. Intel NICs all around and good switches.

I've tried the common suggestions of turning down the protocol level to NT1, enabling AIO etc. I'm still seeing R/W speeds of around 64/44 on Windows and 60/28 on Linux.

Any suggestions? I don't think the zfs pool is at fault because toying with SMB settings does affect speeds a little bit.

Danic

Feb 6, 2015
jrdm.us
My suggestion is verify that network hardware is up to snuff with some iperf tests between nas4free and clients. In the past when I used nas4free found out that their automatic tuning ('Enable tuning of some kernel variables' Option) made performance worse (specifically iSCSI). Lastly, a manual restart of smbd (or system reboot) was needed for changed samba settings to take effect on nas4free. My issue was it said I needed to reboot every time I had config change. For now I use freenas for its iSCSI performance was better without tuning but will switch back to nas4free once it catches up again.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
My nas4free box is actually mush snappier than my Synology at this point. I do have an old Samsung 840 Pro caching which helps a lot.

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
I recently set up a NAS4free 9.2 system (used this release for ConnectX-2 support) with 6 7200RPM drives in RAIDZ2, 8GB RAM and an i3-4160. I'm seeing very low SMB speeds and I can't figure out why. Intel NICs all around and good switches.

I've tried the common suggestions of turning down the protocol level to NT1, enabling AIO etc. I'm still seeing R/W speeds of around 64/44 on Windows and 60/28 on Linux.

Any suggestions? I don't think the zfs pool is at fault because toying with SMB settings does affect speeds a little bit.
Did you ever solve your problem? I have the same issue today. I have machines that I can dual boot windows and linux, SSD drives on both ends. Windows-to-Windows has no problem maxing out gigabit ethernet at 110+ MB/s. But when I reboot one machine into linux it can barely hit 65 MB/s. I've tried kubuntu and manjaro, all updated. It's not the hardware...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.