Napp-it : want to migrate rPool from mirrored USB to single SSD... how?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Derf

May 31, 2013
Can anyone tell me how to migrate my root pool from a mirrored set of USB drives to a single SSD?

I've gone to disks and initialized the SSD...

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
gea might be the best source to help here, but I would create the new pool on the SSD, then use ZFS send/recv to copy the main data. Then use grub install to write the bootloader to the SSD. That should be enough to get the machine booting up.

Derf

May 31, 2013
gea might be the best source to help here, but I would create the new pool on the SSD, then use ZFS send/recv to copy the main data. Then use grub install to write the bootloader to the SSD. That should be enough to get the machine booting up.
Thanks, that's along the lines of what I was doing last night, albeit manually and not through napp-it.
I was just following along in this tutorial
Migrating the Root ZFS Pool to a Smaller Drive

A couple of things now:
1) my boot image in the background of Grub is somehow OpenIndiana and not SolarisOS. Not sure how that happened but I'd like to change it.

2) I am now booting off my SSD but I have three pools: my data pool, my mirrored root pool, rpool (2 USB drives), and a system pool, syspool (SSD). I'm confused if syspool is a temporary image of the root pool used in the migration, or if it IS a root pool that it's just labeled differently than the rpool on the USB drives. The author was trying to create a separate root pool from his data pool on a separate device, so maybe it was just his naming convention?

3)I've followed the guide and it had me create swap and dump pools, which didn't previously exist in napp it. Should I let napp-it do it's thing or keep the swap and dump pools?

4) I'm all the way at the end of the guide and I have just a few steps left in the cleanup section mainly involving destroying the old rpool. Any last minute tips?

This was great to learn, but I wish I knew how to "just do it" through napp-it.

Last edited:

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
The boot image comes from Grub, and I think you can set it to whatever you want. I don't know how as I've never bothered. I just don't watch the system reboot enough to care, and it's headless so I'd have to watch it over IPMI anyway.

The other pool is still there, if you want to be sure it's not being used, try "zfs export rpool". That should unmount it and you could even pull the USB drives at that point. Reboot and make sure it loads from there, but it sounds like it is.

I'm not sure on swap/dump stuff. I think they can be ZFS filesystems on the pool, which is easy enough to create if you need them.

Personally, I wouldn't destroy the old pool, just export it and test. Run the system without it through some reboots and such to make sure everything is stable. Then you can format and reuse the USBs later if desired.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I would simply reinstall.
Twenty minutes and a pool import and you are online again.

If you had used complex extra setups and services what would complicate a setup, think about virtualizing ex via All-In-One.

Keep essential services like storage simple!

Derf

May 31, 2013
Thanks, Gea... after following the previously posted guide, it is clear that there are lots of steps.
If the process isn't simple enough to post the solution in a forum, then suggest the easier method - in this case, reinstall Napp-it, import my data pool, reconfigure settings (root password, DHCP/IP address, user accounts, etc).

To answer some of the questions asked above, in case anyone every stumbles this way in the future....

1) to change the Grub "splash image" start reading @ #5 here : How To: Change grub, login and background images in OpenSolaris distro (X-files)
Basically, you need to change the splashimage file that '/rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst' points to.

2) that tutorial was created to separate a user's ZFS system from a single pool (rpool1) which contained the system pool (/rpool1/Root) and data pool (/rpool1/export/) into two separate pools on separate disks. The root pool, which is often abbreviated rpool, was labeled syspool in the tutorial. Some users refer to their root pool as their system pool (syspool), they are interchangeable names, just as the main data pool is often referred to as tank. So, after following this tutorial it is normal to have your old root pool (rpool) and a new root pool (syspool). It doesn't seem like it was only for clarification in the tutorial, as ZFS can't have two pools with the same name (it would be confused). You can unmount the filesystem and rename it you wish. See here: Change rpool dataset name | Oracle Community

3) regarding swap and dump devices, read:
Swap and Dump Device Configuration Changes - Transitioning From Oracle Solaris 10 to Oracle Solaris 11
Managing Your ZFS Swap and Dump Devices - Oracle Solaris Administration: ZFS File Systems
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/ggvlr/index.html
Consider that these two areas will have lots of read/writes and the size should be managed to not grow too large. Also, consider moving them to a device not shared with root pool to preserve root pool device integrity/longevity.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If you reinstall OmniOS and napp-it you must save resrore /var/web-gui/_log to keep napp-it settings like groups or jobs.

With napp-it pro you can save all settings including user, smb groups or ad mappings with a backup job to a datapool and restore them in menu User > restore settings