napp-it: some disks have same enclosure id, second disk vanishes when mapping the other

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

daisho

Apr 25, 2019
Hi,

I now added a second JBOD chassis to fit more disks on my server.
Now I wanted to create an appliance map so I can recognize the correct disk immediately and also see temperatures etc. of each disk in the map.

Although there is a strange issue that some disks have the same enclosure id as other disks, and if one of those is successfully mapped, the other vanishes from the list of assignable disks.

For example, in the list of disks there are two entries like these:
c0t5000CCA221C F2C0 d0 Hitachi HDS72202 2 TB e1:m0:s21
c0t50014EE2B43 23B7 d0 WDC WD40EFRX-68W 4 TB e1:m0:s21

Now when I map either one of them to a slot in the appliance map, the other one is no longer present and can therefore no longer be mapped.

Is there something that can be changed in the napp-it configuration or is this a hardware issue (LSI HBA only counting to 24?)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Can you add infos about
- OmniOS release
- napp-it release

Disk configuration like
- 24 port HBA, no expander
- 8 port HBA single expander
- 8 port HBA dual expander (connected parallel to the HBA or daisy chained)
- optionally HBA firmware

In general
The mpt_sas driver behave different in older/newer OmniOS. Former releases had problems with ports > 16. Newer versions show same controller id even when you use several HBAs.

Slot detection in napp-it can be done either via sas3ircu. Sas3ircu is no longer maintained properly by Broadcom so this can give problems. As an alternative you can use driver based enumeration. This gives different slot numbers and you cannot use the red led alert function of sas3ircu to detect disks.

To disable sas3ircu (if installed), go to menu Disk > Disk Location > select sas3ircu and set sas3ircu to none.

Last edited:

daisho

Apr 25, 2019
Hi, I have a LSI SAS 2308 on an X10SL7-F connected to two Intel RES2SV240 and those to SC846 BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane and Inter-Tech 4U-4316L backplanes like this:
overview.png

Using latest OmniOS OVA template from your site.
It seems to work when enabling (thought this was already enabled based on the dropdown) sas2ircu (clicking on "i want to select a different sas2ircu" while only default is an option.
I now get different enclosure ids (e3, e4 etc.) and so the disks are recognized as separate entities.

Thanks!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
So propably sas2ircu was disabled.
The select options are none or default .

The current state of sas2ircu (installed + version or not) is shown above the select form.